Larch Mountain Trail - major storm damage (Jan 3, 2009)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Don Nelsen

Larch Mountain Trail - major storm damage (Jan 3, 2009)

Post by Don Nelsen » January 4th, 2009, 4:55 pm

After taking a quick look at the winter beauty of the Gorge the day after Christmas, I was anxious to get back and take more time to check it out further. Alas, a great deal of snow had melted in the new years day deluge but plenty remained on the trail above the main Multnomah Falls to entertain and delight us on our trek Saturday.

Daughter Susan and I parked about 9:45 at Multnomah Falls lodge and headed up the trail carrying our snowshoes as well as ice axes - just in case. We donned the snowshoes at the stone bridge and proceeded up the well-buried trail. As it turned out, knee pads might have been a useful addition as we found many large trees down across the trail between the stone bridge and the metal bridge that had us down on all fours in three or four spots! The above is a pic of the worst of it - 8 or nine large trees down in a short section.

The condition of the trail quickly deteriorated above the stone bridge:
Here's the only one we saw coming back down. We met a few more folks as we came back down ourselves and they all thanked us for the nice snowshoe tracks we left on the route:
Once at the first of the upper falls, the switchbacks were completely covered so going directly up the hill seemed to be the best option. Suz tackled this with her customary aplomb. (Her later descent - well, you will have to ask her about that!):
The section of trail near the top of the upper of the two upper falls was worthy of very careful negotiation:
Above the junction of the Wahkeenah Trail, many trees down and lots of crawling under and over was the rule:
Past the worse of it, we had the metal bridge in our sites:
The view of the carnage downstream from the metal bridge:
Above the bridge, no tracks at all were visible. We called it a day and headed back:
One last look at the winter wonderland as we arrived at the freeway entrance near Dodson:

dn & Suz
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Re: Larch Mountain Trail Sat, Jan 3rd - significant storm damage

Post by Splintercat » January 4th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Wow - that trail is hammered, Don! I had a similar experience last February, when I went up there in snow and found downed trees on two of the three Dutchman falls, plus a fairly gnarly slide just short of the Wahkeena junction. Nature bats last..!

Tom :shock:

aircooled

Post by aircooled » January 5th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Impressive damage! Thanks for posting those.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 5th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Nice hike Don! Good idea bringing an ice axe. I went hiking up Bridal Veil creek today, visiting the two upper falls, etc... and made a few discoveries which I'll post later. I brought my ice axe as well, which was very helpful, even on the muddy slopes - a 70degree slope let me test out a few uses for it...and I think I might even take it on some summer bush-whacks now! You can use the pick and the point in conjunction to create a great hold on steep, muddy slopes by putting pressure straight down on the point! By the way, do you know if there are elk in the Gorge??? If not, I found the largest deer antler I've ever found up there today. Keep up the great trip reports. Hopefully I'll get to go on an adventure with you and your intrepid daughter sometime this winter.
-Zach

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2009, 4:41 am

Hi Zach,

I just got through commenting on your elk antler post and then saw your note here. Nice find! The ice axe was pretty helpful on saturday's hike. Just the confidence factor was worth having it along and it made a very useful anchor when climbing over some of the trees.

-Don

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

hikerMan

Post by hikerMan » January 7th, 2009, 9:00 am

Don: Interesting that so many trees seem to want to fall across the trails in the winter time. Why can't they fall in the woods, away from the trails?

Your ID photo is a place I recognize, it is by the "Needles" near the summit of Mt. Whitney is it not?

John

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 7th, 2009, 10:21 am

hikerMan wrote:Don: Interesting that so many trees seem to want to fall across the trails in the winter time. Why can't they fall in the woods, away from the trails?

Your ID photo is a place I recognize, it is by the "Needles" near the summit of Mt. Whitney is it not?

John
John,

Good question about the trees. Multnomah creek sure gets more than its share of falling trees it seems to me.

It is indeed the Keeler Needles from the trail at about 14,100' near the summit of Mt. Whitney. Summer of '00. Have you been up there?

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on January 7th, 2009, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fettster

Post by fettster » January 7th, 2009, 10:38 am

About what elevation did you turn back then? Do I dare ask about the descent? Your picture foretells one possibility in quite a vivid fashion.

raven

Post by raven » January 7th, 2009, 11:46 am

Why do trees fall across trails preferentially? Trails on slopes are the real issue. The obvious answer is they fall down hill, not parallel to the trail.

The less obvious answer is that the trail cut can destabilize the slope, causing slippage--a mini landslide, The trees counter the lean by returning to vertical, but slippage continues with ongoing trail maintenance. The trees beside trail on slopes often have bends at their bases with trunks offset downhill. I do not know that these trees are more likely to fall than others, but if they do, it will definitely be across the trail. The trees that have not countered the slide yet are leaning and are at great risk of falling, and the greatest slippage is in winter.

Steve

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 7th, 2009, 3:48 pm

fettster wrote:About what elevation did you turn back then? Do I dare ask about the descent? Your picture foretells one possibility in quite a vivid fashion.
Turn back! Moi? I was on my way back down from the summit of Whitney (14,496') when I found someone to take my photo. It's really a pretty easy hike/climb - 22 miles RT - the altitude kinda takes your breath away, though :-)

Don