Nesmith Point Trail open for your enjoyment

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
[email protected]

Nesmith Point Trail open for your enjoyment

Post by [email protected] » February 1st, 2012, 8:46 pm

Did a quick hike up the Nesmith Point trail today (2/1) and back down. We only went up to Corkey's Corner at 2800ft (just at the end of all the steep switchbacks). Given all the damage elsewhere in the Gorge, thought I'd let people know that the trail is in good shape. There was a little blow-down which we cleared and some minor slides which were easily navigated. There was snow - yes - from about 1200ft on up and some of it deeper than other places to the west but there were good steps and it was soft enough that we could edge where needed.
All in all the trail is open and, of course, a good conditioner if you want one.
Don't know about the last 1,000ft from the ridge but then most of the work-out is done before that and the views - well, there are certainly better ones elsewhere in the Gorge.

jamesthehiker

Re: Nesmith Point Trail open for your enjoyment

Post by jamesthehiker » February 2nd, 2012, 9:52 am

Would you recommend snoe shoes for a trip this weekend?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » February 2nd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Don't know about above 2800ft but we didn't use anything but carried microspikes. I do know that down below the 2800ft level it would be rather cumbersome to have snowshoes and I'm thinking there might be tracks above 2800ft as well so I'd so probably not.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » February 9th, 2012, 8:12 am

Continuing the Nesmith theme - went up Nesmith Ridge yesterday and found things in great shape on this off-travel travel up from above Ellowah Falls. Almost no blow-down. Trail tread better than ever. No snow - didn't believe it until I saw it - in the steep bowl just before you hit the top of the ridge and intersect with the 'official' Nesmith Trail. Yes, unrelenting steep but great for conditoning.

Coming down the 'official' trail, did notice that lots of people had been up there so the lingering snow (and there is plenty on the trail from about 1600ft upward) is getting rather hard-packed and therefore slippery. Didn't need boot traction devices yesterday but might if the temps stay low.