How to upload pictures from your computer

For testing the forum interface. A place where newbies can post test messages. Nothing informative here.
Stevefromdodge

How to upload pictures from your computer

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 18th, 2008, 4:42 pm

If you want to display pictures that are on your computer and you don't want to go to the trouble of uploading to a photo website, there is an easy way to connect them to a post.

Beneath the text box where you enter your message, find the upload attachment section. Click the browse button and then find your image file. Select it, then click "Add the file". Note that you can add several files this way.

In the end, you'll have a trip report that looks like this

My Fairly Slipper Trip Report
Attachments
FairySlipper5.jpg
FairySlipper4.jpg
FairySlipper3.jpg
FairySlipper1.jpg
FairySlipper2.jpg

Stevefromdodge

Re: Pictures from your computer

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 18th, 2008, 4:47 pm

After you upload your first picture, a dropdown list of your photos will appear immediately beneath the big text box.

As you type in your trip report, you can position the photos by picking a spot with your cursor, selecting the photo from the dropdown and clicking "Place inline".

The your trip report will look like this.

A Fairy Slipper:
FairySlipper1.jpg

Another:
FairySlipper5.jpg

Two more:
FairySlipper3.jpg
FairySlipper4.jpg

They travel in packs
FairySlipper2.jpg

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 18th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Hope this helps too!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 18th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Ok, I tried that and I'm getting an "Image is not valid" error. So I'm sure it could be a variety of issues, all on my end unfortunately. I'll figure it out. Thanks Steve.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 18th, 2008, 4:52 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ok, I tried that and I'm getting an "Image is not valid" error. So I'm sure it could be a variety of issues, all on my end unfortunately. I'll figure it out. Thanks Steve.

What format is your picture in? .jpg? .bmp? .tiff?

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 18th, 2008, 5:00 pm

Looks like jpeg.......If you are posting the url from flickr, where do you paste it?

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 18th, 2008, 5:42 pm

I managed to load pics from my files just fine with my son's pictures from his Tajikistan campout. Lots faster than going through flickr!

Note that with the "attachment" function, there is an option to use either a file from your computer or a url. As mentioned above, for a picture make sure you have the url for the image, not the page (in flickr or whatever) that it's on. With my iMac, I do this by right-clicking the image and selecting "copy image address." I know there's something similar in Windows, although I've long since forgotten what.

You can also use the "Img" button above the message body and paste the address of the photo (right click the photo so you get the address of the photo itself, not of the page) between the two "Img" 's. I suspect that's what most people are doing. I've found it's easier to resize an image by going through flickr--the iPhoto software on my iMac is not all that great, IMHO. iPhoto will let you organize pics but doesn't do much for editing them. For instance, you can crop, but you can't resize. I had to resize on flickr to get my avatar to work here.

What's really wonderful is that we Mac and Firefox users no longer have to type all that html stuff to post a link or an image! And we also have a preview function so we can make sure that we did it right before we post!
Last edited by Grannyhiker on June 18th, 2008, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martell

Post by Martell » June 18th, 2008, 5:43 pm

One other thing is an attachment can have a caption. Just put something in the file comment box. In the example below I used "This is the Seattle skyline".
Attachments
seattleskyline.jpg
This is the Seattle skyline
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » June 18th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Also, you can see a list of all your attachments that you have uploaded by going to User Control Panel then Manage attachments. You probably don't want to delete them (otherwise they will go away for everyone) but you may want to link to them again, or see what all you have uploaded.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 18th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Success!!!!!! Thanks to all for your help and patience!