How to upload pictures from your computer

For testing the forum interface. A place where newbies can post test messages. Nothing informative here.
Waffle Stomper

Re: Pictures from your computer

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 18th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Let me see if I can do this.
Attachments
July snowpack.jpg
July Snowpack

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 18th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Okay, I've been fiddling around with this to see how it works to post a picture from flickr. Here's what I did to get the picture below.

1. On the page where the photo is displayed in flickr, click the All Sizes button above the image.
2. Click the link for the size you want (I selected Medium for the photo below).
3. Scroll down to the section where it says "Grab the photo's URL" and then select and copy that URL.
4. In your Portland Hiker's post, click the Img button above the area where you're typing your text.
5. In-between the first and last Img tags (your cursor should already be there), paste the URL you just copied from flickr.
6. And then you get this:

The problem with this, of course, is that flickr actually wants you to use that first long URL you see beneath the photo on the All Sizes page. When you use that long URL, the photo that appears here in PH is hyperlinked back to the photo page on flickr (so for the pic above, it would link here). Flickr requires this and I actually like that method better, because then people can easily click over to my flickr page to see more information about the photo, or see other photos I took on that trip, etc. I was able to do this on the old site, but it doesn't seem I'm able to do that here on the new site, unless anyone has a suggestion.

cfm

Post by cfm » June 18th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Cool! But after several tries, I could only get this one to upload, the others were invalid or just didn't show up as a successful upload
Thimbleberry.jpg
Rubus parviflorus

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 18th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Great! Steve thanks for all your explanations. We need to build some of that into a FAQ and make it sticky

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 18th, 2008, 10:15 pm

I did a little expeeriment. I can easily post this image as a small file (72 ppi) but if I post the same image as a larger file size I can't do it. There may be challenges processing a larger file.
Attachments
smoke2small.jpg
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Paul

Post by Paul » June 20th, 2008, 9:44 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ok, I tried that and I'm getting an "Image is not valid" error. So I'm sure it could be a variety of issues, all on my end unfortunately. I'll figure it out. Thanks Steve.
I kept getting the same error as above when trying large pictures. Is there a size limit?
Attachments
GaiusWhatum.jpg
Gaius at Whatum lake
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 20th, 2008, 10:19 am

Paul wrote:
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ok, I tried that and I'm getting an "Image is not valid" error. So I'm sure it could be a variety of issues, all on my end unfortunately. I'll figure it out. Thanks Steve.
I kept getting the same error as above when trying large pictures. Is there a size limit?

I think there is a size limit. I kept getting the same error, then once (instead of the error) I got a message at the top that said there is a 800KiB limit. So I resaved my test photos and made them smaller. I have since been able to post those shrunken photos.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 11:20 am

I can raise the file limit - I didn't recall there being one. I'll post back here when I have that taken care of.

meana39

Post by meana39 » June 20th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Thanks for the tips on uploading photos. I just posted a trip report and after resizing my photos since they were too large, it was fairly easy to add them to the report. MUCH easier than in the past!
Thanks!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 30th, 2008, 5:52 am

Remind me, oh, Tech Gods, what image size my pics must be to take on here. Is the avatar size different from the posting-in-a-message size as discussed above?

Mucho gracias!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/