Trip Report test

For testing the forum interface. A place where newbies can post test messages. Nothing informative here.
DannyH

Trip Report test

Post by DannyH » July 31st, 2013, 9:11 am

Nearly all the hikes I go on are well represented here so this is my first trip report.

Opening Picture, cabin at the ghost town.

IMG_1197 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr

I grew up in Cottage Grove and visited my parents last weekend. About 40 miles southwest of town are Bohemia Mountain and its Lookout covered friend, Fairview Peak. A Google search of “Bohemia Mountain Hike” will give you the Umpqua National Forest's directions.

My own opinion on the directions: driving up via Brice Creek can be done in a passenger car. The gravel road is in great shape up until the last ½ mile. By that point you've been in the car long enough that adding a half mile to an already short hike is no big deal. Turning the drive into a loop and going down the Sharps Creek side is only a good idea in a high clearance vehicle (and if you're going down that way make sure your brakes are in good shape). The bonus to this slower route is getting to drive past at least 10 old mine shafts that go straight into the cut bank. This was also the original grade to the mining district. It was fun to imagine horse drawn wagons pulling supplies up the mountain.

*Some websites said this hike is dog friendly and I brought my dog Jack. The hike to the top of the mountain was great, but exploring the ghost town is not a dog friendly activity. Scraps of metal and nails are everywhere, and there is highly toxic water seeping out from a collapsed mine shaft. My dog's golden retriever instincts mandate drinking and splashing around in every possible body of water.

We started from the parking area, walked down the road opposite the lookout road. After 200 ft.(about) the trail takes off to the right. It's a short .8 mile uphill hike to the incredible viewpoint. The ridge going up the the summit is covered in large boulders that are highly entertaining to scramble around on. I broke my camera in Peru earlier this month so nothing but iphone pictures today.

IMG_1176 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr

We could see every cascade volcano from Hood to Thielsen. Smoky skies to the south covered up a probable view of McLoughlin as well.

IMG_1181 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr

Looking across to the lookout on Fairview Peak. The road has a gate, but it's an easy hike up. We didn't walk up there because my dad's foot was bugging him.

IMG_1193 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
The flat top of Bohemia Mountain, viewed from one of the trails heading down to the ghost town.

IMG_1199 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
I make it a rule to not venture too close to old outhouses.

IMG_1201 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
Strange metal building at the base of the big tailings pile.

IMG_1206 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
Various remains, most of the lumber was milled on site.

IMG_1207 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
Tracks leading out of the collapsed shaft, pointing straight at the round building. I couldn't get too close to the mine entrance because I had to keep my dog away from the nasty water seeping out.

IMG_1222 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
While driving back down the Sharps Creek side you pass numerous mine shafts, a few of them have metal gates.

IMG_1219 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
Looking through the gate.

IMG_1224 by danny.harris1984, on Flickr
While others have a more organic method of keeping people out.

It's a very long drive from the Portland area, but if you're in the Eugene/Cottage Grove area it's worth the trip up there, especially on a clear day. The drive up is beautiful and there are plenty of swimming holes on both Brice Creek and Sharps Creek. We didn't see any active timber sales, but if you're driving up during the week keep an eye out for log trucks.

This website has quite a bit of information on the area.
http://bohemiamineownersassociation.web ... istory.htm

The directions on this website seem pretty spot-on to me, and include instructions on finding an apparently stable mine that can be entered (flashlights recommended!)
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/bohemia ... t-town/map
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."