Flickr Test

For testing the forum interface. A place where newbies can post test messages. Nothing informative here.
kepPNW

Flickr Test

Post by kepPNW » May 30th, 2013, 5:20 pm

I'm thoroughly fed up with Photobucket, so decided to give Flickr a try. On top of all the issues with Photobucket breaking links, they're also dunning me to buy an account as I have used about 85% of the 2.5GB of space they allow. Jeeez...

Meanwhile, Flickr claims to offer up to ONE TERRABYTE of FREE space now! :o

IMG_0094 by kepPNW, on Flickr

One think I don't really like about this is, it seems to be rather randomly named, which means I can't generate links without being on their site. That was about the best thing Photobucket had going for it.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Re: Flickr Test

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 30th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Funny, people are starting to flee Flickr since they have had an interface upgrade. It's not well loved right now.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 31st, 2013, 4:47 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:Funny, people are starting to flee Flickr since they have had an interface upgrade. It's not well loved right now.
Huh. That right? That's kinda/sorta what's driving me away from Photobucket. Not that I really care so much about the interface, but that other changes accompanied its update. The big thing was, that they broke my links to full-sized images, and with that they broke my trust. Has Flickr pulled that sort of stunt, as well?

I wasn't enamored with the Flickr interface, but it was somewhat functional after a little head-banging. Seems the concept of a "Photostream" is a bit ludicrous if 1000s of photos are involved. But the sets and collections appeared to be pretty well thought out. Just wish I had predictable links. :|
Karl

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 31st, 2013, 6:01 am

They changed the whole interface, driving everybody crazy. They took away the pro account except for those who already have it. Now they have advertising on the non-pro pages. I don't know how bad it looks with the advertising.

You can still post images the same way, just harder to navigate until you get used to it. I think the networking is more difficult, but it is still easy to share.

Leaving the nest by Janice L, on Flickr
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 31st, 2013, 6:02 am

By the way, if you click on my link do you see advertising?

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » May 31st, 2013, 6:59 am

Flickr just completely changed! Was quite a shock when I went to it recently.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 31st, 2013, 7:52 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Flickr just completely changed! Was quite a shock when I went to it recently.
The old Flickr is there once you are of the home page, but it's just not the same.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 1st, 2013, 5:35 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:They changed the whole interface, driving everybody crazy.
Well, I guess it's to my advantage I didn't know the old one, then?
Waffle Stomper wrote:They took away the pro account except for those who already have it. Now they have advertising on the non-pro pages. I don't know how bad it looks with the advertising.
I took a look at the links to both your main account and the photo, and didn't see any ads other than a blue strip across the top of the photo page bragging about the update with a button that takes me away from your photos to their own propaganda.
Waffle Stomper wrote:You can still post images the same way, just harder to navigate until you get used to it. I think the networking is more difficult, but it is still easy to share.
Networking? You mean the contacts and chatter stuff? I suppose I'm fortunate also to not be bothered by that, as I was just in it for the storage and access. :)
Karl