Posting pics from Shutterfly

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
baker9903

Posting pics from Shutterfly

Post by baker9903 » June 20th, 2008, 7:07 am

After being quite unsuccessful in posting photos from my shutterfly account, I sent an email to customer service and here is their response:

"Unfortunately Shutterfly does not currently offer a way for customers to link images from their Shutterfly account to another website (like eBay, match.com, blackplanet).

"Per our terms and conditions, Shutterfly does not allow customers to "hotlink" images from Shutterfly to a third party website. Due to an increasing number of people doing this, we had to disable this ability on our site. Please note that the images are still in your Shutterfly account, however the external links to images are no longer valid.

"We do have options to share images in other ways. Please try our sharing features. (Single Album Shares, Collections) If you wish to post images to your personal blog, forum or webspace then you can share the images to your self. You will receive an email with a link in it. Please copy and paste the link to your website or blog. Any one who clicks on the link can access the images."

So I guess I am going to have to either change services, or simply post all photos from my computer (which I did finally figure out how to do last night). Kind of a bummer because I often write my trip reports at the office (guess I should be working anyway).

jeffstatt

Re: Posting pics from Shutterfly

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 7:13 am

That's curious...how did you get them to work before? Did it just work with the old copy/paste method?

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 20th, 2008, 7:20 am

jeffstatt wrote:That's curious...how did you get them to work before? Did it just work with the old copy/paste method?
That's exactly how I did it before. I wonder if I would be able to do it that way now if our new site supported that. It may be that Shutterfly very recently decided not to allow any linking at all unless you disclose email addresses. Shutterfly reformatted their webpage this week, so I may not be able to copy/past anymore either.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 7:54 am

baker9903 wrote:Shutterfly reformatted their webpage this week, so I may not be able to copy/past anymore either.
Interesting... Can you find any of your old trip reports and see if the photos still show up?

This is an interesting development. Makes you wonder if other sites will be quick to follow.

Jane

Post by Jane » June 20th, 2008, 1:40 pm

I also use Shutterfly and was unable to c/p or add link, and, no photos came over with trip report when I tried c/p on here. I FINALLY figured the way to post photos directly from my computer, loading up a bunch then adding them/inserting in, in the order I want after. This will take some learning new tricks, but I guess everyone will have to find what works best for them, whew.

CherokeeDriver

Post by CherokeeDriver » June 23rd, 2008, 8:38 pm

I have always posted from Shutterfly, and with one exception I don't have any issues. Normally I go into an album and then select a photo. From there, to get the larger version of the photo, I start the Slideshow option and then immediately right-click (on Mac control-click) to get Properties. I then copy the full URL path to the image and paste it into my Trip Report between the fourm-style image tags (not HTML syntax), which involves placing img and /img within brackets [ ] around the URL path.

Only two glitches -- the URLs are not consistent within the slideshow function, so you pretty much have to launch the slideshow for each image to get the URL for the larger version of the pic. And I have noticed on some of my older posts that the images were replaced by thumbnail versions, although they were not deleted (was meaning to fix these before the old forum was frozen).

In all, Shutterfly isn't so great and I have been tempted to change vendors (I was migrated to Shutterfly after ImageStation closed its doors), but it would involve migrating to another vendor, and then potentially losing my images on my forum posts if my Shutterfly account was deactivated. But you certainly can post images from Shutterfly, and I've been doing this for some time now.

Hope that helps.

-Robert

Martell

Post by Martell » June 24th, 2008, 7:34 am

This is a test of Shutterfly:

Free alternatives to Shutterfly:
http://www.flickr.com
http://www.photobucket.com
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 24th, 2008, 7:38 am

So I guess I was wrong that the URL has to end in "jpg" since your photo above has a URL of http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d80 ... /ry%3D300/

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 24th, 2008, 9:04 am

Awesome! Thank you for the tip! This is much easier for me than resizing the photos on my computer

Martell

Post by Martell » June 24th, 2008, 10:44 am

It's interesting that the message from tech support makes it sound as if it's impossible to externally link to their images. That is the assumption I was going by after reading it, but it appears to not be the case.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper