friends/foes

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
pyles_94

friends/foes

Post by pyles_94 » July 12th, 2008, 5:12 pm

does anyone even use the new option of adding friends and foes on the new site? it seems kind of weird that there would be that type of thing on a friendly hiking website....
Jamey Pyles

Robert Ballard

Re: friends/foes

Post by Robert Ballard » July 13th, 2008, 11:04 am

I'm guessing that it's a feature that was already in whatever software they're using on this site. I'm assuming that it at least started out as off the shelf softwear that they may have customized. If so, there are probably a lot of sites where people get into contentious discussions, and people may want not want to hear from specific posters any more. Or maybe it's to filter out spammers. I added my friend Greg Lief, but I haven't seen any need to add anyone here to the foes list.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2008, 11:18 am

Maybe you you could make someone both a friend and a foe :D

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 13th, 2008, 2:05 pm

retired jerry wrote:Maybe you you could make someone both a friend and a foe :D
Why not, it happens in politics all the time :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 14th, 2008, 5:25 am

Yes you're right, it was part of the off-the shelf functionality of phpBB. Quite honestly i don't know what it does!? Let's experiment!

Martell

Post by Martell » July 14th, 2008, 10:05 am

There is a little blurb on the friends/foes pages that tries to explain what they are. I haven't tested either one. I doubt foes will be too useful here, as the conversation stays pretty friendly. Plus, you probably wouldn't want to mark someone as a foe and then miss out on one of their trip reports. Friends may be marginally useful- dunno.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 16th, 2008, 11:32 am

Robert Ballard wrote:I'm guessing that it's a feature that was already in whatever software they're using on this site. I'm assuming that it at least started out as off the shelf softwear that they may have customized. If so, there are probably a lot of sites where people get into contentious discussions, and people may want not want to hear from specific posters any more. Or maybe it's to filter out spammers. I added my friend Greg Lief, but I haven't seen any need to add anyone here to the foes list.

what happens when you add someone? does it just tell you if they are online or not, or does it do anything significant??
Jamey Pyles

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 17th, 2008, 7:03 am

i still haven't had time to play with it. We may consider ditching that functionality all together unless we find some helpful purpose for it.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 20th, 2008, 11:50 am

jeff i added you as a friend but i really dont see a point to it.... it really doesnt do anything
Jamey Pyles

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 31st, 2008, 4:47 pm

Yeah I didn't see much of a change on my side either. I've disabled it for the time being. I don't mind having "Friends", but "Foes" seems unnecessary for a forum like this. The only time we all fight is when guns and dog leashes come up!