Archives

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Grannyhiker

Archives

Post by Grannyhiker » September 12th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Are the archives permanently gone? I'm still unable to access anything either by clicking on "Archive" or doing a search through google. It comes up with a notice saying that the domain portlandhikers.com may be for sale by its owner.

If they're gone for good, I might as well delete a bunch of photos on flickr so I can load newer ones (I'm up to my limit).

It's a shame, though; there's a LOT of good info on there. It would have been great to have the many spectacular photos taken of the Elliot Creek washout the summer after it occurred for the numerous queries on the Timberline Trail we've had this year.

Martell

Re: Archives

Post by Martell » September 14th, 2009, 9:10 am

I don't have access/permission to bring it up, but I think the bills are still being paid on the old account, so it should be possible to get the data still. I'll see what can be done.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » September 14th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I think the only (or at least the first) problem is that the domain name hasn't been renewed.

At least that was the case when it disappeared.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I think Steve is correct and now you have an issue with a Cybersquatter buying up the expired portlandhikers.com domain name.

Registrant:
Tan Tran
505 N. Figueroa St.
Ste. 605
Los Angelos, CA 90012
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: PORTLANDHIKERS.COM
Created on: 27-May-06
Expires on: 27-May-10
Last Updated on: 09-Jul-09

Administrative Contact:
Tran, Tan [email protected]
505 N. Figueroa St.
Ste. 605
Los Angelos, CA 90012
United States

Technical Contact:
Tran, Tan [email protected]
505 N. Figueroa St.
Ste. 605
Los Angelos, CA 90012
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM
NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM

Registry Status: ok

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » September 14th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Don't worry about it, guys. We outdo ourselves everyday and everyone benefits from each hiker's experience. We're better than ever in here and getting stronger all the time! The past is but a memory and the future is ours: the archives are nothing compared to what everyone has been contributing lately. No matter what happens, Portland Hikers will always be a respected, sought after source of information for hiking enthusiasts, young and old. Set your sights on the golden horizon.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 14th, 2009, 7:59 pm

anna in boots wrote:Don't worry about it, guys. We outdo ourselves everyday and everyone benefits from each hiker's experience. We're better than ever in here and getting stronger all the time! The past is but a memory and the future is ours: the archives are nothing compared to what everyone has been contributing lately. No matter what happens, Portland Hikers will always be a respected, sought after source of information for hiking enthusiasts, young and old. Set your sights on the golden horizon.

anna in boots
Anna,

Excellent statement echoing my thoughts exactly - and most eloquently stated to say the least. This is an amazing group of people and growing all the time - anything previously posted by me and I suspect by most of us can easily be reposted if needed - just ask!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2009, 8:26 pm

as time goes by the archived data becomes more irrelevant, don't worry about it is my opinion

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 15th, 2009, 4:00 am

OK, I'll go ahead and delete the photos on flickr.

klossner

Post by klossner » September 15th, 2009, 7:59 pm

It's only the domain name that's been squatted -- all the archives should still be on the server. It should just be a matter of registering a new name, right? I don't want to suggest one of the obvious names because the squatter scrapers will pick up on it, but there are plenty of good candidates not already registered.

Martell

Post by Martell » September 16th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I was able to download a copy of the database and all the files. I'll keep them around, and possibly come up with some sort of very static archive.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper