Find a Hike Region AND Options

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
no_bugs

Find a Hike Region AND Options

Post by no_bugs » September 17th, 2022, 8:20 pm

I can get the Find a Hike to give me hikes in a region, or with certain options checked, but not both. Like I'd like to see the All Season, Backpackable hikes around Mt Hood, but it gives me all of the Mt Hood hikes, not just all season or backpackable. Is this a flaw, or am I doing something wrong? And if the latter, what can I do differently so the search will work? thanks.

justpeachy

Re: Find a Hike Region AND Options

Post by justpeachy » September 18th, 2022, 3:55 pm

Hmmm, I'm not able to replicate the problem. When I go to the Find a Hike page I choose Mount Hood from the Area drop-down box, then I check the All Season Hikes box and the Backpackable Hikes box, and I get one result: Mirror Lake. It doesn't show all Mount Hood hikes like it is for you. I'm using Google Chrome on an iMac computer, FWIW. Maybe try a different browser? Or clear your cache?

While we're on the topic I'll point you to this page of winter and spring backpacking options: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

no_bugs

Post by no_bugs » September 19th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Interesting. I'm using Firefox on a Macbook. But of course now, after not working properly enough times for me to make a post about it, I get the same search result result that justpeachy did. Unfortunately it looks like there are very few backpackable all weather hikes within a couple hours of Portland. Thanks for the full all weather hikes link.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2022, 6:11 am

I don't know that you can rely on those fields like all season and backpackable

Different hikes in the field guide are written by different people, and they may make those designations differently. I don't know what "all season" means

That list of winter and spring back trips is more reliable, although really, anything you see on the internet should be questioned. To state the obvious :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 20th, 2022, 7:34 pm

I read "All Season" as 12 months a year. For backpacking, that means the Coast and little else. Even most of the areas listed in "winter and spring backpacking options" for winter are not reliably backpackable in winter (officially about Dec. 21st - Mar. 20th).

Generally, I see "All Season" as "snow free." Mirror Lake gets quite a bit of snow but it might have been designated All Season just because the foot/snowshoe traffic is so dense even in winter, the snow gets pounded down so you can get there in boots without postholing.

The designation doesn't consider if you are on skis or snowshoes. With that gear, options open up, but many trailheads will be inaccessible because of road closures.