Add pronunciations to field guide

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
squidvicious

Add pronunciations to field guide

Post by squidvicious » April 29th, 2019, 9:25 am

"How do you pronounce...?" questions pop up in discussions pretty often. For the ones where an answer is actually known, it would be a huge help if the pronunciations were added to their field guide entries. If there's a reference where that info came from that would be great to know too. I can find references for pronunciations of town names, but not features like waterfalls. Calling a ranger station every time I'm wondering about a name and hoping whoever answers the phone isn't guessing too doesn't seem like the best option.

Right now I'm trying to figure out "Wiesendanger." You'd think since it's named for a person in relatively recent history it wouldn't be that hard, but at best I can find other people with the same name, who use multiple different pronunciations.

Aimless

Re: Add pronunciations to field guide

Post by Aimless » April 29th, 2019, 9:43 am

The proper German pronunciation would be something like WEE-zen-DANG-er. But Americans often replace Old World pronunciations with their own versions, so I can't absolutely vouch for that one.

adamschneider

Re: Add pronunciations to field guide

Post by adamschneider » April 29th, 2019, 10:59 am

Aimless wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:43 am
The proper German pronunciation would be something like WEE-zen-DANG-er. But Americans often replace Old World pronunciations with their own versions, so I can't absolutely vouch for that one.
Actually the German would be VEE-zen-DAHNG-er.

But Albert Wiesendanger (1893-1989) was an American, born in Portland to Swiss immigrants. I think the standard American pronunciation for this one would be "WEE-zen-DANG-er" (rhymes with "banger") or "WEE-zen-DANG-grr" (rhymes with "anger"). I suppose you'd have to ask one of his family members to be sure.