Oregon Hikers Maps feature is dark

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
adamschneider

Re: Oregon Hikers Maps feature is dark

Post by adamschneider » January 21st, 2019, 10:41 am

aiwetir wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 1:09 am
I've never seen anything from ESRI stating they have free tile servers.
Me neither, but the whole world uses their tiles and they don't seem to mind.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 21st, 2019, 5:36 pm

ESRI has a whole open source project - see here:

https://esri.github.io/esri-leaflet/exa ... emaps.html

I have seen nothing stating there is any cost for any of these maps from ESRI - at least for non profit use.

Here are the "terms" from that site:
Terms

If your app is for public, non-revenue generating, non-government, non-commercial use, the free Essentials Developer Plan is sufficient. If you're going to generate revenue or are using the app for government or business purposes, you'll have to purchase one of the products below:

ArcGIS Pro
ArcGIS Online for Organizations
ArcGIS Enterprise
ArcGIS Online Deployment Plan

If you display an ArcGIS Online service in any Leaflet application, we require that you display Esri attribution and recognize data providers. Using this plugin, it couldn't be easier to follow the terms. Just select your basemap and the appropriate credits will be displayed in Leaflet's own Attribution control as users pan/zoom automatically.

L.esri.basemapLayer('Topographic').addTo(map);

If you need more than 1 million map transactions per month, please let us know.
So I suppose if you do more than 1 million hits per month or wanted to do something for profit there would be costs involved, but I don't think either of those apply to OH.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 21st, 2019, 7:24 pm

Glad to finally see something clearly stated from ESRI, they are exceptionally good at playing hide the ball with their pricing.
- Michael

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 22nd, 2019, 7:27 am

I wish the pricing on their software was a bit more sane. Even a student edition (which would be more than sufficient for me) is like $150/year. Not one time, but once a year. Developer access is like $1500/year or something ridiculous.

I got free access to it for 1 year for a free class I did online and it is really nice. Since I can't justify even the student edition of ESRI, I'm still trying to figure out how QGIS works (which is similar, but most things talk about how to do it in ESRI software).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 22nd, 2019, 8:40 am

I thought the home license was $100/year. It does give you access to I believe everything including PRO and there is a free developer account that you can play around with ArcGIS Online and apps like Collector, but if you have no use for it, then $100 is expensive. In my intro GIS class I took it upon myself to do everything I did in both ArcMap and QGIS. I found almost everything worked exactly as expected but I couldn't find solutions to some spatial join settings where QGIS would take hours to do something ArcMap takes seconds to do.

QGIS is much faster for many thing and the symbology is much better. The only thing I don't like about it is that it completely messes up on the fly projection about 20% of the time to the point where I can't figure out how to get things to line up like they should and I have to go back to ArcMap
- Michael

Martell

Post by Martell » January 23rd, 2019, 7:33 am

adamschneider wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Martell wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm
I may be misinterpreting the billing. According to the price chart it says "Free up to 25,000 map loads per day"
That's the OLD pricing. Under the new regime, starting last summer, you get 28,000 map loads per MONTH. But you don't really get a fixed number of map loads per month, you get $200 worth of whatever per month. And map loads are $7 per 1000 or 0.7¢ each, so the 164 map loads in your account cost $1.15 — which is well within the free tier.

They don't actually take money out of your credit card until you go over $200 in a month. And you can theoretically set quotas so that it never happens.
It sounds like we should be good. It's possible we'd go over in the summer, but even then I could dip into the $300 credit for the first year.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 30th, 2019, 9:43 am

Whew! Much appreciate your working on this Dan!