Forum upgrade issues

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Re: Forum upgrade issues

Post by Martell » September 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 6:46 pm
It seems my issues are now resolved.
That's great. I wish I knew the cause of it, but for some reason ssl seems to fix it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Martell wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Waffle Stomper wrote:
That's great. I wish I knew the cause of it, but for some reason ssl seems to fix it.
Yeah, I think I've had to re-log-in a lot less frequently since I changed my bookmarks to https:.

Martell

Post by Martell » September 12th, 2018, 9:02 pm

adamschneider wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm
Martell wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Waffle Stomper wrote:
Yeah, I think I've had to re-log-in a lot less frequently since I changed my bookmarks to https:.
SSL is forced now too.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 13th, 2018, 5:38 am

thanks for fixing that (knock on wood). Only happened to me one time before the fix.

also, thanks for making it more difficult for spammers. That hasn't occurred since that fix. A couple mornings I had to delete 50 spam posts.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 14th, 2018, 6:45 am

Martell wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 7:46 am
Hey- thanks for putting upgrade in scare quotes, your sarcasm is highly appreciated. A good way to close off a request for someone to look into an issue for you.
My apologies for that takeaway! Not my intended tone or message. After spending over 30 years in IT, to me it's a given that "upgrades" always have pluses and minuses.
Martell wrote:
I'll take a look. It's probably more of a server issue.

Edit: I see multiple deliveries in the logs to your email address over the last couple days. Maybe check your spam folder.
ARGH!!! Last (successful) delivery was July 3. Dunno which end something changed on, then... After that, Google apparently decided mail from that address ([email protected]) was spam, despite my having rules for how to label and file them. :cry: :oops: I've updated the rule to never mark those as spam, and offer you another apology for not having checked that first. After many years of those never being rejected, it never occurred to me (but should have!) that I hadn't properly trained the inbox. So embarrassing... Much appreciation for your efforts here, Dan! Thank you.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 14th, 2018, 6:48 am

Just a quick thank you for keeping the forum running smoothly, most of the time.
Much appreciated.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Martell

Post by Martell » September 14th, 2018, 6:51 am

kepPNW wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:45 am
Martell wrote:
Hey- thanks for putting upgrade in scare quotes, your sarcasm is highly appreciated. A good way to close off a request for someone to look into an issue for you.
My apologies for that takeaway! Not my intended tone or message. After spending over 30 years in IT, to me it's a given that "upgrades" always have pluses and minuses.
Martell wrote:
I'll take a look. It's probably more of a server issue.

Edit: I see multiple deliveries in the logs to your email address over the last couple days. Maybe check your spam folder.
ARGH!!! Last (successful) delivery was July 3. Dunno which end something changed on, then... After that, Google apparently decided mail from that address ([email protected]) was spam, despite my having rules for how to label and file them. :cry: :oops: I've updated the rule to never mark those as spam, and offer you another apology for not having checked that first. After many years of those never being rejected, it never occurred to me (but should have!) that I hadn't properly trained the inbox. So embarrassing... Much appreciation for your efforts here, Dan! Thank you.
Thanks, sorry for misreading that as sarcasm.

I may be able to add an SPF record, so Google doesn't consider oregonhikers.org mail from that server as spam.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 15th, 2018, 6:28 am

Martell wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:51 am
Thanks, sorry for misreading that as sarcasm.

I may be able to add an SPF record, so Google doesn't consider oregonhikers.org mail from that server as spam.
No worries. Impossible to convey tone with pure text. :)

Adding the SPF would probably "solve" the problem for a lot of folks, yeah. Google's a real stickler for those.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...