Change in Forums appearance

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
mjirving

Re: Change in Forums appearance

Post by mjirving » April 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm

If you’re in “mobile”, tilt your phone to landscape and you’ll get more features fit in.

In the past, I’ve just hit the “Unread Posts” link and then (on Apple) hit that box with the up arrow and then selected “Add to Home Screen” which adds an icon to your screen that looks like an app. Then I just hit that and it opens it up straight there with one tap every time on my iPhone/iPad. Same thing works on the new format.

Mike

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Please list out any specific functionality that you can't find in the new version. Some of the above posts are helpful. I'll try to respond individually. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

Unfortunately the old layout isn't compatible with phpBB 3.1 or 3.2 (we are now on 3.2), the good news is this one is responsive, so it works in mobile and tablets. I tried to just pick a simple one. Most things should work the same, but the jump from 3.0 to the new version was a major one that broke some functionality.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 2:04 pm
search.php?search_id=newposts

lists posts in order of newness

that's a little different than the one that excluded posts I've already read, but I don't know it makes much difference

after I get used to it I'll probably complain if that's changed :)

"Unread Posts" up in the top header (on desktop) should work eactly the same as before. Just make sure you are logged in. One note is that if you had "Unread Posts" bookmarked, the link has changed slightly, so the bookmark won't work properly.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Limey wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 2:28 pm
Thanks everyone, glad to hear it's not me. So far I'm not a huge fan either. The old style seemed much easier to navigate. I expect I will gradually get used to it. At my age it just takes a little longer.
Please let me know anything specific that you used to use for navigation that you can't find now.

One problem with the old version is that it was not being developed any more, so it wouldn't receive security upgrades. The new one should work better on a smartphone/tablet too.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm

adamschneider wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm
It's not you... It seems to be in the process of a major overhaul. So far, I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'll reserve final judgement until the kinks are ironed out.
Any specific issues?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Bosterson wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm
The new mobile interface is definitely an improvement, though I'm still trying to figure out where some of the functionality has gone. (You used to be able to PM someone based on their post and it would quote it, which doesn't seem to have a button anymore.) Showing the latest post (and by whom) in each forum on the index page was really nice and it would be good to have that back.

Meanwhile, I hadn't read the disclaimer recently - is this part new, or old hat? It makes me never want to post TRs here ever again.
If you click the icon that looks like a speech bubble next to Contact under the person's name, then click on send private message, it will quote their post. I just PMed you an example.

Edit: As @adamschneider pointed out, the index page has the latest post, just not on the mobile version. I could look into enabling it on mobile. Apparently the speech bubbles are also not on mobile.

The disclaimer is old- I just copied it verbatim (you can still see the old layout on the home page).
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Has anyone seen the new interface for attachments? It seems a little better.

We were going to take a look at add-ons in the latest version for uploading images, to make it easier.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 5:47 pm

mjirving wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm
If you’re in “mobile”, tilt your phone to landscape and you’ll get more features fit in.
This is a great tip- I can see about adding those features back in on the portrait view- but I'll wait until we hear more feedback.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 15th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Martell wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm
adamschneider wrote:
It's not you... It seems to be in the process of a major overhaul. So far, I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'll reserve final judgement until the kinks are ironed out.
Any specific issues?
Honestly, my biggest beef at first was that the fonts were too damn big... but then I realized that I'd set my browser to enlarge text by 110% on this site. Now that I'm back to 100%, the size is OK, but I sure don't love this overly-circular "Poppins" font.

A couple of other small things:

– The posting form no longer has a "Cancel" button.

– I'd like it if the "reply with quote" button actually said "reply" or "quote" on it. I'm never a fan of replacing words with icons.

– Landscape mode doesn't enable anything extra on my phone. Could the "speech bubble" icon that's used for PMing (in desktop mode) go over on the right side of the mobile version, next to the "quote" and "report" icons? Better yet, have it take over the spot of the "this person is online" icon, because really, does anyone care?

Martell

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 6:56 pm

adamschneider wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Martell wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm
adamschneider wrote:
Any specific issues?
Honestly, my biggest beef at first was that the fonts were too damn big... but then I realized that I'd set my browser to enlarge text by 110% on this site. Now that I'm back to 100%, the size is OK, but I sure don't love this overly-circular "Poppins" font.

A couple of other small things:

– The posting form no longer has a "Cancel" button.

– I'd like it if the "reply with quote" button actually said "reply" or "quote" on it. I'm never a fan of replacing words with icons.

– Landscape mode doesn't enable anything extra on my phone. Could the "speech bubble" icon that's used for PMing (in desktop mode) go over on the right side of the mobile version, next to the "quote" and "report" icons? Better yet, have it take over the spot of the "this person is online" icon, because really, does anyone care?
I'd be OK with changing the font. I believe we used Verdana before. Anyone else have thoughs on that?

I'll check on the cancel button, not something I'd ever noticed/used.

I agree on the Reply with Quote icon, it's one of the most clicked buttons on the forum.

It sounds like the landscape trick works better on some phones than others (works on mine). I'm sure we can work the PM button into the mobile layout.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper