Change in Forums appearance

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Re: Change in Forums appearance

Post by Martell » April 15th, 2018, 7:11 pm

• We now accept very large image attachments, and they should automatically size down.
  • Contact with the speech bubble will now show up on mobile. It's a bit difficult to click, but at least it is there. I'll see if I can find a better interface for it.
  • "Quote" text added to quote with reply icon.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 15th, 2018, 7:30 pm

If I'm not mistaken the disclaimer was added to the site many years ago to keep others from using the content on this site for commercial purposes or trying to steal things like photos and passing them off as their own.

TKO occasional gets requests from magazines, non-profits, etc asking if they can use something (usually a photo), and when this happens TKO refers the questioner to the person who posted the content.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 15th, 2018, 7:47 pm

adamschneider wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 6:44 pm
I sure don't love this overly-circular "Poppins" font.
I'm okay with this font, but I was fine with the one on the old version too. Really I'd be fine with any web-standard font.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm

When I click on a previously read topic that has a new unread post, the page is not bringing me to that new post automatically. Rather it's always starting me at post 1. I am logged in. Can I fix this?? Couldn't find anything under settings. Thanks!!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm

You have to click the date/time under the topic's title and that takes you to the latest post. It would be nice if it were an icon like in the old software.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 16th, 2018, 12:38 am

Bosterson wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm
You have to click the date/time under the topic's title and that takes you to the latest post. It would be nice if it were an icon like in the old software.
It looks like, if there are unread (by you) posts, there's still a little green icon before the thread's title, and that will take you to the last post. If you want to see the latest but there aren't any new-to-you posts, then clicking on the date is the only way to do it in the mobile version. However, the date isn't highlighted in any way to let you know that it's a link. (This is an aggravatingly common problem with "modern" web site design: links look no different than anything else, and on a mobile device you don't even have the ability to mouse-over to figure out where to tap.)

What would make the MOST sense is having the words "Last post" be a highlighted link.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2018, 4:53 am

-Q- wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm
When I click on a previously read topic that has a new unread post, the page is not bringing me to that new post automatically. Rather it's always starting me at post 1. I am logged in. Can I fix this?? Couldn't find anything under settings. Thanks!!
This! That's what I'm missing now, too.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Martell

Post by Martell » April 16th, 2018, 8:14 am

I'm working on the Unread/Last Posts issue.

I'm guessing this is most commonly used from the "Unread posts" page?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 16th, 2018, 8:24 am

So I made an update and by default, clicking the thread title takes you to the last unread post.

If you've already read everything it will take you to the first post. It might be nice if it'd take you to the last post if you've already read the thread, so I'm looking into how to do that.

This flow might make the most sense:

If logged in:
-If unread posts, take to first unread
-Else, go to last post.
If not logged in:
-Go to first post
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

Martell wrote:
April 16th, 2018, 8:24 am
So I made an update and by default, clicking the thread title takes you to the last unread post.
[...]
If logged in:
-If unread posts, take to first unread
-Else, go to last post.
If not logged in:
-Go to first post
I'm not sure clicking on the thread TITLE should get you to the unread posts. I'd expect that to take me to the beginning.

I think our gripes in this arena are mostly with the mobile version. Did you look into linkifying the words "Last post" on there?