Change in Forums appearance

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Limey

Change in Forums appearance

Post by Limey » April 15th, 2018, 11:50 am

Has the appearance of the forum page changed? Mine is very different than it was and will take some getting used to. I'm just hoping it isn't an indication that my computer is heading for a major meltdown.

adamschneider

Re: Change in Forums appearance

Post by adamschneider » April 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm

It's not you... It seems to be in the process of a major overhaul. So far, I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'll reserve final judgement until the kinks are ironed out.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm

You are not imagining things. The software that runs this forum was WAY overdue for an upgrade. (It was actually several versions behind.) That upgrade happened yesterday. There are a few kinks that Dan is working out, so thank you for your patience. :D

One big improvement: the site is now mobile-optimized!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 15th, 2018, 1:46 pm

justpeachy wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm
One big improvement: the site is now mobile-optimized!
I admit that the new layout looks pretty good on my phone.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 15th, 2018, 2:04 pm

search.php?search_id=newposts

lists posts in order of newness

that's a little different than the one that excluded posts I've already read, but I don't know it makes much difference

after I get used to it I'll probably complain if that's changed :)

Limey

Post by Limey » April 15th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Thanks everyone, glad to hear it's not me. So far I'm not a huge fan either. The old style seemed much easier to navigate. I expect I will gradually get used to it. At my age it just takes a little longer.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 15th, 2018, 3:04 pm

The new look is so much more fresh and so much better on the phone. Nice work.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 2:04 pm
search.php?search_id=newposts

lists posts in order of newness

that's a little different than the one that excluded posts I've already read, but I don't know it makes much difference
In the old design, the navigation bar included a "new posts" link, which went to search.php?search_id=newposts.

"New posts" has moved to the "quick links" hamburger menu, and the top bar now contains an "unread posts" link, which points to search.php?search_id=unreadposts. They're subtly different.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm

The new mobile interface is definitely an improvement, though I'm still trying to figure out where some of the functionality has gone. (You used to be able to PM someone based on their post and it would quote it, which doesn't seem to have a button anymore.) Showing the latest post (and by whom) in each forum on the index page was really nice and it would be good to have that back.

Meanwhile, I hadn't read the disclaimer recently - is this part new, or old hat? It makes me never want to post TRs here ever again.
All content posted on the forum becomes the property of Trailkeepers of Oregon, and may not be used without permission.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 15th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Bosterson wrote:
April 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm
(You used to be able to PM someone based on their post and it would quote it, which doesn't seem to have a button anymore.) Showing the latest post (and by whom) in each forum on the index page was really nice and it would be good to have that back.
Both of these are still there in the "desktop" version, but they seem to have been sacrificed in the name of saving space in the mobile version.