Change in Forums appearance

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Charley

Re: Change in Forums appearance

Post by Charley » April 17th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Looks very modern! Good job!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 17th, 2018, 9:33 pm

If the measure of a web site is good looks, the new design certainly is pleasant to look at. I also think it has sacrificed some usability in the name of achieving a 'clean, modern design'. I don't come here to admire these pages, but to use them.

The changed design puts almost every element on the page on an equal footing. This eliminates "clutter", but sacrifices the ability to make some elements stand out from the crowd. Unless one memorizes the position of an element, there is nothing to assist you in finding it. Sometimes a contrasting color or font is a good thing, even if it upsets the harmony of a consistent 'look' everywhere on the page.

My main specific complaint is that the date and time of the most recent post to a forum is now in such a small font that it is difficult to read without exerting much more effort than was required in the previous design. Because this is a valuable piece of information to me whenever I check in to the site, its demotion to insignificance is an annoyance and inconvenience each time I view the OH.org forums page.

Martell

Post by Martell » April 18th, 2018, 12:28 am

Aimless wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 9:33 pm
My main specific complaint is that the date and time of the most recent post to a forum is now in such a small font that it is difficult to read without exerting much more effort than was required in the previous design. Because this is a valuable piece of information to me whenever I check in to the site, its demotion to insignificance is an annoyance and inconvenience each time I view the OH.org forums page.
I'm totally confused by your post. It's almost the same, if not improved? It's actually more prominent now because the post title is included. I can include screen shots if it helps.

If you have other examples I can look at, that would be helpful.

If it helps you, we didn't specifically try to demote or promote any specific element of the forums. The old style was incompatible with the new version.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 18th, 2018, 12:29 am

CampinCarl wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 2:34 pm
I like it, it seems easier to read and navigation is intuitive. Experimenting with a photo drop from PC. Hmmm... still says it won't take over 2MB. Any suggestions?
I'll play with it. It's supposed to accept much larger- up to 40MB and then resize down.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Amnesia

Post by Amnesia » April 19th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Is there any way to have all forum titles or topic titles the same background color? It is harder on the eyes with the alternating shades on each line or post. Also, I enjoyed the titles being bolded if there were new posts since your last visit? Or is that a setting I'm missing?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 19th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Amnesia wrote:
April 19th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Is there any way to have all forum titles or topic titles the same background color? It is harder on the eyes with the alternating shades on each line or post. Also, I enjoyed the titles being bolded if there were new posts since your last visit? Or is that a setting I'm missing?
You're right, they're all bold now. The only way to tell if there are unread posts is by the icon.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I spent an hour uploading a lengthy trip report. Nothing like testing the new system with a lot of detail.

1) On a Mac, could not drop pictures into the text box either in Safari or Firefox. I had to go through the same three-step process as before (download, upload, place inline). None of the pictures is larger than 350 KB.

2) Only one picture would post in Safari; somehow all the others wouldn't display. I deleted the entire post and started again in Firefox.

3) Picture captions are not displaying. Does something have to be turned on to show captions (They show in the attachment window but not in the post)?

Edit: I see I've lost picture captions in all my previous posts as well (going back seven years), but the captions show if you run your mouse over the picture: Is this an "improvement"?

4) There are weird blank attachment boxes near the end of the post that I can't get rid of.

Edit: OK, I logged out and logged in again, and these are showing as duplicates, but see (5) below - I can't delete the duplicates because a total of only one image file is showing in the attachments window.

5) If I go back to edit after posting, only one image is listed in attachments and all the others are gone, which means I can't edit or rearrange them. Is there a secret to this?

It was a long report, but a real struggle with multiple retries, and definitely not an improvement in functionality over the past in terms of posting. The only upside was that I could upload groups of pictures instead of just one at a time.

Martell

Post by Martell » April 20th, 2018, 9:53 pm

There is a fix for the single attachment issue I’ll set up, it’s a bug in the current version.

I’ll try to recreate your Mac issues with safari. Dragging had worked for me.

We can make it so captions show. If you are just doing them as attachments with captions you may not need to place inline.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 20th, 2018, 10:10 pm

bobcat wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm
I spent an hour uploading a lengthy trip report. Nothing like testing the new system with a lot of detail.

1) On a Mac, could not drop pictures into the text box either in Safari or Firefox. I had to go through the same three-step process as before (download, upload, place inline). None of the pictures is larger than 350 KB.
I just tested this and it works fine on Safari on a Mac. After you drag it over you just need to scroll down and you'll see it's in the attachments section.

3) Picture captions are not displaying. Does something have to be turned on to show captions (They show in the attachment window but not in the post)?
Captions show just fine. Edit: I looked at your post and you don't have any captions, just filenames.
5) If I go back to edit after posting, only one image is listed in attachments and all the others are gone, which means I can't edit or rearrange them. Is there a secret to this?
This is a bug and is fixed.
It was a long report, but a real struggle with multiple retries, and definitely not an improvement in functionality over the past in terms of posting. The only upside was that I could upload groups of pictures instead of just one at a time.
Thanks for being at least a little bit positive :)
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 20th, 2018, 10:35 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 2:37 pm
Ok, now here's my error message:

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1200 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. The submitted image is 3291 pixels wide and 2203 pixels high.
Can you upload the original image elsewhere so I can test with it? I was able to upload a larger 4000x3000 image, so something is odd. Maybe a certain file type can't be resized. Also, what browser?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper