Asking for your support

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
drm

Re: Asking for your support

Post by drm » August 30th, 2017, 5:51 am

The wikipedia system appears a few times and that's it. This one is there every page refresh it seems.

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » August 30th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Count another vote for PayPal, for all the reasons cited above. I have lost count of how many times my credit card had to be replaced, because someone snagged the card number somewhere. Have never (fingers crossed) had that happen with a PayPal transaction.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 30th, 2017, 7:29 pm

drm wrote:The wikipedia system appears a few times and that's it. This one is there every page refresh it seems.
If you click the little "dismiss" link at the lower right corner of the donation banner, it is set to not reappear again for seven days. Does it still keep showing up after clicking "dismiss"?

drm

Post by drm » August 31st, 2017, 6:07 am

justpeachy wrote:Does it still keep showing up after clicking "dismiss"?
I just did that, so I will let you know if it does.

As to Paypal, I stopped using it a few years ago for personal stuff. As a contractor, I found their terms for payment were onerous and since they have no real competition for the market they serve, they can do whatever they want. There are (or at least were then) websites solely dedicated to complaints about Paypal. Their structure somehow gets them out of the regulation that banks and credit cards are subject to. I wonder why there is no real competition but I also understand that for some online users, there is no alternative. I use my credit cards for payments online for years and have never once had an issue with the number being stolen.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm

justpeachy wrote: If you click the little "dismiss" link at the lower right corner of the donation banner, it is set to not reappear again for seven days.
Apparently my 7 days have passed and this just popped back up for me on every browser I visit the forum on (since the banner's time counter appears to be cookie based, not user account based). How long will this pledge drive go on for? Is there going to be a "no means no" option for the banner so that it will stop showing up?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Post by Guy » September 1st, 2017, 8:18 pm

Bosterson wrote:
justpeachy wrote: If you click the little "dismiss" link at the lower right corner of the donation banner, it is set to not reappear again for seven days.
Apparently my 7 days have passed and this just popped back up for me on every browser I visit the forum on (since the banner's time counter appears to be cookie based, not user account based). How long will this pledge drive go on for? Is there going to be a "no means no" option for the banner so that it will stop showing up?
So I clicked the dismiss option at around 5:00pm this evening when it reappeared. It's back at 9:00pm (Same browser Chrome Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit) )

I don't wish to sound testy but this could become annoying.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 2nd, 2017, 6:17 am

Bosterson wrote:How long will this pledge drive go on for?
I believe it is scheduled to go for two weeks. And yes, I believe it is cookie-based, not user-based. I don't know if it's possible to make it user-based, especially since not everyone who visits the forum logs in, but I will certainly pass along your feedback.
Guy wrote:So I clicked the dismiss option at around 5:00pm this evening when it reappeared. It's back at 9:00pm (Same browser Chrome Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit) )
Sorry about that, Guy. I will pass that along to the techie folks.

Mr. Smartyman

Post by Mr. Smartyman » September 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

Is there a way I can get the banner to show up even more often and on every page I go to? Or, every other time. Or, alternating between top and bottom of the page?

Just kidding. I think it's a great idea. I'm the kind of person that needs a reminder every now and then. It's really not intrusive at all.

I'm fine with no paypal option. I'm not a huge fan, but I would use it if that's all you offered. This way worked for me just fine.