Trying to Post and losing it all

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
rangerchick

Trying to Post and losing it all

Post by rangerchick » August 2nd, 2015, 9:08 am

Lately when I try to post in trip reports, even after I have logged in and without a period of inactivity, the website prompts me to login in again. I've clicked the box that says to remember me and login automatically but still this keeps happening. This of course causes everything I've written to be lost and have to start the process all over again. Is this a known issue? For reference I'm using safari and this isn't an all the time occurrence but when it does happen it's quite frustrating.
"Everyone summits, unless you don't want to. I won't drag you." -R.Posekany

adamschneider

Re: Trying to Post and losing it all

Post by adamschneider » August 2nd, 2015, 9:37 am

Any time I ever post anything on ANY site, I do a quick "Select All" and "Copy" (⌘A, ⌘C) before hitting that Submit button. Better safe than sorry.

(I know it's not a solution, but it's a useful tip anyway.)

rangerchick

Post by rangerchick » August 2nd, 2015, 11:00 am

adamschneider wrote:Any time I ever post anything on ANY site, I do a quick "Select All" and "Copy" (⌘A, ⌘C) before hitting that Submit button. Better safe than sorry.

(I know it's not a solution, but it's a useful tip anyway.)
Thanks for the tip Adam, I'll be sure to do that from now on. I had quite the write up on yesterdays hike and felt quite deflated when it just disappeared *sigh*
"Everyone summits, unless you don't want to. I won't drag you." -R.Posekany

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 2nd, 2015, 11:46 am

Just to echo Adam, I'd do the same as I was writing a TR (back when I did that), copying the already written text into a text editor. Not just this site, but anywhere I'm entering a lot of text into a webform, it's a habit. Far too often, web-apps just blow. So the rule is, "as often as you don't want to do it over." :|
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 2nd, 2015, 11:52 am

kepPNW wrote:Just to echo Adam, I'd do the same as I was writing a TR (back when I did that), copying the already written text into a text editor. Not just this site, but anywhere I'm entering a lot of text into a webform, it's a habit.
Yup, text editors are a good idea too; then you can just hit "save" occasionally.

If you're on a Mac, you can also do Select All and then drag the text to your Desktop as a "clipping."

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 2nd, 2015, 12:00 pm

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Just to echo Adam, I'd do the same as I was writing a TR (back when I did that), copying the already written text into a text editor. Not just this site, but anywhere I'm entering a lot of text into a webform, it's a habit.
Yup, text editors are a good idea too; then you can just hit "save" occasionally.
Yeah, I had a "tr.txt" file on my desktop that just served as a scratchpad for exactly that.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Martell

Post by Martell » August 2nd, 2015, 8:23 pm

I had one other report of this happening recently, but wasn't able to recreate it. I'll take another look into it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2015, 5:00 am

Over the years I've noticed this can sometimes happen when someone else replies to a thread in between the time you started your reply but before you hit post.

Also sometimes but not always hitting the back button on your browser can get it back.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 3rd, 2015, 5:22 am

I never compose any more than a half paragraph or so on a web form, whether on OH.org or any other website. That's just asking for heartache. I compose in a text editor (not a word processor) and cut/paste the result into the web form. I'm calm, blood pressure's stable and low, birds are singing. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2015, 7:15 am

what browser and operating system are you using?

That used to happen to me a lot, but now it doesn't. Maybe upgrading to a newer version and oh.org changing to a different version helped.