external links

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Koda

external links

Post by Koda » April 4th, 2015, 9:02 am

just a minor inconvenience but can you set all external links to open in another tab/window?

seems like all other forums/websites set external links to open in another window, this makes sense to me for convenience and ideally one would think that a website would not want to direct traffic away from the site its like showing someone the door...

just a suggestion.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

llamero

Re: external links

Post by llamero » April 4th, 2015, 9:24 am

Koda wrote:just a minor inconvenience but can you set all external links to open in another tab/window?

seems like all other forums/websites set external links to open in another window, this makes sense to me for convenience and ideally one would think that a website would not want to direct traffic away from the site its like showing someone the door...

just a suggestion.
A very good suggestion.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 4th, 2015, 9:41 am

Disagree. I hate websites that break the conventions of the web. It's plenty easy for me to middle click any link I want in another tab; don't make that decision for me. If it's an option, well, maybe...but what's so hard about middle clicking?

Koda

Post by Koda » April 4th, 2015, 10:24 am

texasbb wrote:Disagree. I hate websites that break the conventions of the web. It's plenty easy for me to middle click any link I want in another tab; don't make that decision for me. If it's an option, well, maybe...but what's so hard about middle clicking?
Are you shur your not confusing external links with internal links? Its my observation that all other websites open external links in another tab, I would say Oregonhikers is breaking any convention.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 4th, 2015, 7:37 pm

llamero wrote:
Koda wrote:just a minor inconvenience but can you set all external links to open in another tab/window?

just a suggestion.
A very good suggestion.
I second.
Great suggestion Koda.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 4th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Koda wrote:
texasbb wrote:Disagree. I hate websites that break the conventions of the web. It's plenty easy for me to middle click any link I want in another tab; don't make that decision for me. If it's an option, well, maybe...but what's so hard about middle clicking?
Are you shur your not confusing external links with internal links? Its my observation that all other websites open external links in another tab, I would say Oregonhikers is breaking any convention.
No, I'm not confusing internal and external links--a link is a link. Yes, there are sites that try to force you to use the web the way they prefer, but that's a relatively small minority (which is admittedly--and sadly--growing). But the user should be in control and there's no good reason not to let him be in control. He can choose to put any link, internal or external, in another tab (or not) at his will with zero additional effort. Who is the website owner to tell me where I want the link opened.

Even more irritating are sites that won't let you open a link in another tab. These are usually javascript sites created by adherents to the ever popular Because-I-Can design philosophy.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 5th, 2015, 8:14 am

texasbb wrote:Even more irritating are sites that won't let you open a link in another tab.
yes, now that is frustrating.

I see your points but my suggestion is simply how I see it. I just find it easier to not have to take extra steps to open an external site in another tab. This isn't my website so I can only suggest... I don't have any expectation of user control as a visitor to a website.

at least, for Oregonhikers being a free website, we don't get inundated with ad's, pop ups, text flyout ads, and those damn videos that auto run with a hidden tiny little closeout button.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 5th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Koda wrote: at least, for Oregonhikers being a free website, we don't get inundated with ad's, pop ups, text flyout ads, and those damn videos that auto run with a hidden tiny little closeout button.
Agree!