Demise of PortlandHikers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
RobinB

Re: Demise of PortlandHikers

Post by RobinB » February 4th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I don't have a strong personal stake in the issue, as I live in inner SE Portland, but would cast my vote for whatever the majority of contributors wanted. And, given that Karl and Payslee - IMO, two of the best, most prolific contributors we have - take issue with the change, so do I.

Whatever the legal or financial structure, this website's value derives directly from contributors. It would be nice to see that reflected in governance decisions. I'll continue to read and post here for the people and supportive environment, but, given the feeling of exclusion it generated, I really wish the change had been handled differently.

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 4th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Great post, Robin.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 4th, 2015, 3:29 pm

RobinB wrote:given the feeling of exclusion it generated, I really wish the change had been handled differently.
Amen.

I don't really understand the furor over "Portland" vs "Oregon" vs "Vancouver," but Robin is spot on that the "value" of this site comes from the people who use it - who post, who update the Field Guide, and who moderate the forums (note that we are not admins nor affiliated with TKO - just regular members).

With respect to PH and TKO, if PH is "a service of TKO" for financial reasons in order that PH's bandwidth gets paid for, that should be made clear. If PH is "a service of TKO" for other reasons relating to TKO's broader plans for advocacy, "growing its market," etc., that should be made clear.

While PH is a private site, it's unfortunate that issues regarding the site (and their impact on the community on the site) have been presented in a heavy handed way - either donate/join the board, or don't complain. Again, the admins run the site, TKO "owns" the site, but if the membership were able to engage with those aspects of the site more then a lot of general outrage might be avoided.

I don't agree with Payslee that TKO is evil, but her point is valid about a slight chilling influence on speech or actions that don't align with TKO's goals. Instead of being an advocacy mouthpiece, PH is discussion board where people make friends and share information, along with a user-created online guide for a selection of local areas. If some of us would prefer for TKO to keep itself separate from PH, that seems like an issue the community should be able to discuss without being told their voice doesn't matter; otherwise, good, active members of this community will be alienated (Karl) or leave (Payslee).

The purpose of PH should be PH. Period.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

drm

Post by drm » February 4th, 2015, 4:11 pm

I've been involved in quite a few nonprofits over the years. Some were run by staff or boards, some were grassroots and run by the membership. While the latter is more democratic of course, if anybody thinks that would be easier or smoother or make for happier members, you've got another thing coming if we were to try. We would then be responsible for making decisions. We would have to have forums dedicated to discussing those issues, and we would then find ourselves disagreeing a lot more, and possibly even grouping into factions and cliques. Well, maybe it wouldn't be that bad, but that is just a maybe. And since most of us wouldn't find the time for those time-consuming discussions, most of the decisions would still be made be a few people anyway.

The relationship with TKO is tricky. The forum predates TKO but now TKO drives it. There does need to be a clear statement of that relationship, more than just the "A service of TKO", that is available. The issue of prohibiting or discouraging content because some group or agency that TKO works with doesn't like it really needs to be worked out. TKO needs to develop posting guidelines and then stick by those even if some partnering group doesn't like it. It has to be a two-way street. I think that TKO has to have as much responsibility for the forum as the forum does to TKO.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 4th, 2015, 5:07 pm

The new forum will look exactly like the old forum, but with the new name -- here's the banner that you will see when you log in next week:

This simple change will better help TKO improve the forum over time, with more planned enhancements to both the forum and the field guide.
That's it for now, but rest assured that the transition should be painless: your password, posts and the structure of the forums won't change, just the name.
what am I missing that I don’t see any indication that anything is going to change other than the name? How is the name change going to make this forum any different than what it is now?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Bozo Texino

Post by Bozo Texino » February 4th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Regardless of the forum name, geographical location of it's members, and individual political beliefs, please stop arguing. Some of these posts are downright petty and a reading them has been a real waste of energy and a bit of a downer.
"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!" --Jeffrey The Dude Lebowski

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » February 4th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I haven't been a part of this community long enough to feel I have a right to an opinion on this topic. However, I do want to express something.

Shortly after I started hanging out on here I said to a friend, "You know that feeling when you find your tribe?" Even though I haven't met any of you in person (well, not as far as I know anyway!), I really enjoy interacting with you all here. You've taught me so much! And I want to say thanks to all of you who have made me feel so welcome - Karl and Payslee included. I hope you will continue to participate as it wouldn't be the same without you.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » February 4th, 2015, 9:23 pm

AAdamsPDX wrote:"You know that feeling when you find your tribe?"
Well said.

Water

Post by Water » February 5th, 2015, 10:47 am

booger

i just like saying that word, it always makes me laugh. That's my meaningful contribution to this.
Feel Free to Feel Free

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » February 5th, 2015, 10:54 am

I've been a member of this forum since way back when Jeff and Jeff started it before the field guide and was one of the first to buy the stickers to support the site. A lot of the arguments here are pretty petty. Geez. Portland-Oregon, Portland-Oregon....PortlandHikers....OregonHikers? What's the big deal? There were a lot of posts on s. Oregon and northern Wa. back then and still are.

A name change is no big deal. Just don't devolve into what the other NW hiking site is like where you flamed for just asking a simple question. You guys and gals are all really nice.....even to me! LOL

OK Tribe?