Demise of PortlandHikers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
obera

Re: Demise of PortlandHikers

Post by obera » February 3rd, 2015, 4:08 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:I find it unfortunate that some of the people posting here are mocking the opinions and concerns of others, even if those folks are long-term contributors to the forum, like Karl and Payslee, or people who just think that if a change was going to be made, the name could have been more inclusive to truly reflect the level of reach that the site has. Everyone has an opinion and whether one agrees with that viewpoint or not, respectfulness should always persevere. After all, we all have one thing in common besides relative geographic location: we all love the site and want it to be the best it can be, and that happens through personal contributions by the users. The overall quality of the site erodes when the personal interactions devolve to mocking and/or name-calling.
Exactly. It's too bad.
oh-beer-ah

drm

Post by drm » February 3rd, 2015, 4:51 pm

I live in Washington and any feel of exclusion has more to do with the response my posts get than the name. Most of my trip reports on nwhikers.net (a highly inclusive name) never get any response. Most of my reports here get plenty of response. That is what is important to me. It's the people and community that make it what it is, not the name.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 3rd, 2015, 5:17 pm

drm wrote:It's the people and community that make it what it is, not the name.
Well said, drm. I agree. This will still be a great place to share and learn, no matter what the site is called.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » February 3rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

justpeachy wrote:
Well said, drm. I agree. This will still be a great place to share and learn, no matter what the site is called.
I second that. I come here to read everyone's trip reports, access the field guide and to get inspired to tackle more trails each year. I learn a ton from the site about trail etiquette, rules, regulations, and so on. And to be quite honest, Karl....it's your trip reports that I enjoy the most! I've never cared what the site was called. It's the members that make it what it is.

Bozo Texino

Post by Bozo Texino » February 3rd, 2015, 5:48 pm

Any name-change that includes our fellow hikers is a step in the right direction--that step being taken out there, shared here, and hopefully repeated by a fellow member.

Political boundries mean zilch while on the trail and even less while enroute to the trailhead.
Last edited by Bozo Texino on February 4th, 2015, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!" --Jeffrey The Dude Lebowski

greglief

Post by greglief » February 3rd, 2015, 6:00 pm

I third this sentiment. nwhikers.net is certainly useful, but strikes me as far less personable than PH-soon-to-be-OH.

Channeling Sam Clemens... "Reports of PortlandHikers' demise have been greatly exaggerated"

texasbb

Post by texasbb » February 3rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

Holy toledo, I had no idea what I was stepping into this morning! My post (2nd in the thread) was meant to be humorous, with only a slight acerbic hint in the same sense as my rants about no tents fitting me. Or pants or shoes or jackets or...well, I digress. I've felt welcome participating here as an "official outsider" since '08. Looks like no change for me! :)

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 3rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

First, Karl, I really hope you keep posting here. I love your TRs. You're a great photographer, but I think my favorite thing about your TRs is that they usually include a shot of you with a happy smile. You just seem to be having so much fun, and your enjoyment of hiking is infectious. And the fact that you live in Washington just helps ensure that we keep getting good TRs from places like MSH.

Second, I'm not going to second-guess any decision made by the good folks who are responsible for keeping this site going. It's a fantastic resource, and it really does make me feel like part of a community, even though I mostly hike solo. The good folks who post here have often been my inspiration for getting out and ranging farther afield.

I think changing the name to OregonHikers makes it more inclusive. Perhaps not inclusive enough, but that shouldn't distract us from what it's really about: People sharing their love of the outdoors, whether that's in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or even Washington, D.C.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 6:52 pm

UTurn wrote:And to be quite honest, Karl....it's your trip reports that I enjoy the most! I've never cared what the site was called. It's the members that make it what it is.
Appreciated, to be sure! :D (And yeah, it's the other folks here that keep me around, too!)
vibramhead wrote:First, Karl, I really hope you keep posting here. I love your TRs. You're a great photographer, but I think my favorite thing about your TRs is that they usually include a shot of you with a happy smile. You just seem to be having so much fun, and your enjoyment of hiking is infectious. And the fact that you live in Washington just helps ensure that we keep getting good TRs from places like MSH.
Aw, shucks... :D
    One for old-times sake. Last Friday (1/30/15). Summited in shorts! Really.
Honestly, lost a lot of contribution-enthusiasm back when Tom first told me of his money-grubbing plans. :x

But I'll always love the people here!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » February 3rd, 2015, 7:07 pm

Peabody wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:Brad is going to have to make some new buttons now!
Not that it matters, but do you know if Brad lives in Oregon or Washington?
It's funny Eric said that, as that's the first thing I thought of. I reside within the Portland city limits, so I am a true Portland Hiker.

As for my opinions on the change, while I would prefer it to stay the same, I'm not too concerned about it. As others have already said, it's about the community members.

My biggest concern would be to make sure the content transfers over. I'm sure the new website will be an improvement, as it is not the most user-friendly sites to use in regards to trip report writing.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports