Should threads about guns or politics be allowed?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
CampinCarl

Re: Should threads about guns or politics be allowed?

Post by CampinCarl » December 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I don't mind it, but is there any way to "ignore" threads? It keeps popping up in the list of "View new posts" and is slightly annoying to have to skip over :)

Water

Post by Water » December 8th, 2014, 10:09 pm

should threads discussing if threads about certain topics should be allowed, be allowed? :D :lol:
Feel Free to Feel Free

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 8th, 2014, 10:31 pm

CampinCarl wrote:I don't mind it, but is there any way to "ignore" threads? It keeps popping up in the list of "View new posts" and is slightly annoying to have to skip over :)
Amen to that. :roll:

(Unfortunately, I don't think that feature is included in phpBB... at least not without plugins/hacks. But if it was my site, that'd be the first hack I installed. :) )

pdxgene wrote:Though I'd be willing to bet most any amount of money that [the gun debate] doesn't change one person's mind one way or the other and is probably a complete waste of time.
Amen to that too.

drm

Post by drm » December 9th, 2014, 6:54 am

What I find interesting and odd is that these kinds of threads are so popular on a hiking/backcountry site. I assume there are plenty of sites out there that focus on these kinds of debates. I do occasionally participate in off-topic threads here and occasionally go find them on sites that focus on them. On average I have not found that the discussion quality here is any better or worse than elsewhere on these topics.

Koda

Post by Koda » December 9th, 2014, 9:24 am

drm wrote:What I find interesting and odd is that these kinds of threads are so popular on a hiking/backcountry site.
IMO the outdoor community is one of the most politically active groups. Whats interesting is almost all political discussion within my private circle of friends happens on the trail, go to a house party or other social event not so much.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 9th, 2014, 9:59 am

pdxgene wrote:Though I'd be willing to bet most any amount of money that [the gun debate] doesn't change one person's mind one way or the other and is probably a complete waste of time.
I'm not 100% on this. While you are probably technically correct, I find that these types of discussions can be a useful exercise for broadening your perspective, if one has the patience. I have been following the thread since Day 1, but not actively participating. I have learned a great deal about what makes gun control a contentious issue and have appreciated the (mostly) thoughtful comments and debate. Of course, there have been low points, but on the whole I think those that participated have come to a better understanding or appreciation of the issue and of each other as individuals in a complex society. At least, that is my hope.

Of course, I'll be glad when it dies. :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Water

Post by Water » December 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

drm, I think it is in part because this site brings people with a shared love of the outdoors together. That is the one thing all of us have, but even the way we want to see it managed, etc, what our idea of a 'best' hike is, is all different. So invariably political views crop up here and there and because the users here don't always have similar views the potential for debate is high. Going on a 'pro-gun' or a 'pro-gun control' forum and arguing (discussing...) a contrary viewpoint would be treated as not much more than trolling.
Feel Free to Feel Free

raven

Post by raven » December 9th, 2014, 10:48 am

I might agree with you Water, but that is not the way this thread started or drifted. It was taken over.

The thread started by discussing the fire by the Clackamas River and the role of exploding ammunition. The political discussion was about responsibility for one's actions.

On the 11th post Koda said in response to Karl suggesting insurance for target shooters:
Mandatory insurance to exercise a constitutional right? Rather than complicated and expensive legislation wouldn’t it be easier to simply pass a law against exploding targets on public lands?
Karl tried to bring it back on track, but Koda saw guns and the NRA's claim of second amendment rights. Karl responded. It was guns after that, not exploding ammo or fires or personal responsibility.

Thread hijack preventing an on-topic political discussion from continuing.
Last edited by raven on December 9th, 2014, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 9th, 2014, 10:48 am

Koda wrote:IMO the outdoor community is one of the most politically active groups.
Possibly, but all groups tend to contain a vocal minority with strong opinions that can't wait to get into an endless argument about contentious issues. (Note that the only people [N=4 or so] that have been consistently active in the last, say, 50 pages of that discussion are ones who are either extremely for or extremely against gun control.)

Of course, on the internet, this effect is magnified by approximately one bazillion. :mrgreen:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » December 9th, 2014, 11:49 am

I am a moderator on an RV forum and we only allow very specific discussions about guns, like what do you need to know to travel from state to state or across country boarders with your weapons. And of course all discussions have to remain civil because that is our #1 overriding rule.

Other discussions about protecting yourself inevitably degrade into flame wars, to the point that we squash them out quickly and vigorously now. Years of experience has taught us that it just doesn't work with our community.

I think it is cool that the 'Gunfight' thread here has continued so long. I don't read it, because I don't really care about guns - I don't carry, but you are welcome to, doesn't matter to me. But it's cool to let people who want to have that discussion have it, and keep it in one place, so those who are sensitive to the topic can just not click.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA