Search Option keeps crashing?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
mayhem

Search Option keeps crashing?

Post by mayhem » May 14th, 2013, 8:19 am

I noticed latley the search option crashes & says come back & try later? the problem I'm seeing happens later too?

I do a search it brings up pages...say 1,2,3,4,5...I do not see what I'm looking for on the page 1 which is the first page displayed, so, I click on page..any page 2-5 & that is when I get the crash.. dialogue??

Non of the comments I post are a dig they are more about hey something is not right.

Thanks for all you do Martel & others! After all, if we say nothing, nothing gets done & if we dont respond to issues then also nothing gets done including having a great community :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

retired jerry

Re: Search Option keeps crashing?

Post by retired jerry » May 14th, 2013, 8:23 am

not answering your question, but you can always use Google or whatever

for example to search for Ramona Falls enter into your browser
"Ramona Falls site:portlandhikers.org"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2013, 8:30 am

retired jerry wrote:you can always use Google or whatever
Sure, but the custom search is often a far better filter! In particular, cases such as where you want to look at all the recent TRs posted by [someone]. I really love being able to restrict the results to just the first post of each thread!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Martell

Post by Martell » May 29th, 2013, 9:34 am

This should be working better now. Let me know if you have more problems.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Badknee

Post by Badknee » June 10th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Happening again. I'm having trouble with it off and on. Sometimes I get the "try again later" and sometimes it tells me "there are no matching results" ie: search "Tanner Creek waterfalls".
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

Martell

Post by Martell » June 11th, 2013, 8:07 am

If you get the "try again later" message you may be searching too frequently (or you may not be logged in).

If a search term comes up with empty results, it's due to the way the terms are indexed. I recommend using the Google search we set up on the top of the search page.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 11th, 2013, 8:12 am

I've definitely noticed that I get the "you cannot use search now" message much more often when I'm not logged in. Clicking on "unread posts" used to take me to a login page. Now it almost always fails. After I log in, it almost always works.

Badknee

Post by Badknee » June 11th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Thanks guys. Using my login seems to clear up the issue.
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 11th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Martell wrote:If you get the "try again later" message you may be searching too frequently (or you may not be logged in).

If a search term comes up with empty results, it's due to the way the terms are indexed. I recommend using the Google search we set up on the top of the search page.
Same issue! Crash crash crash. I get to use the 1st page I select but if nothing is on that page it crash when I select the next page.

Not complaining just sharing experience. I really do appreciate everything you do to keep this site running.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 12th, 2013, 11:21 am

I still very occasionally get the issue in which I am shown as logged in on the home page, but when I click on "unread posts" it logs me out. It's not happening as frequently as it used to; in fact when it happened a couple of days ago, that was the first time in several weeks.