Site very very slow?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Grannyhiker

Re: Site very very slow?

Post by Grannyhiker » January 29th, 2013, 2:04 pm

In addition to the speed (which seems back to normal now, but wasn't at 10 am today), the "log me on automatically at each visit" feature isn't working. Fortunately my new iMac remembers my username and password, so I don't have to type it in each time, but it's still a nuisance.

I thought it might be a server issue; is PH once again getting too big (as happened in 2008) requiring another search for something with larger capacity?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 29th, 2013, 2:19 pm

It asked me to re-login a couple times recently too

Also the slowness has to do with other web sites on the same server

Maybe Dan's inquiry will result in improvement

There are probably faster, but more expensive web hosts

Martell

Post by Martell » January 29th, 2013, 3:25 pm

The problem in 2008 was partly due to the software we were using at the time and partly due to problems with the web host.

Luckily the software we are using currently is not having any trouble with the size of the site, so the main issue is that we are on a shared host and sometimes other users cause load spikes.

One possibility would be go to to a virtual dedicated server where we'd get our own chunk of memory/processor that wouldn't be affected by other users. Maybe the current host will get rid of the problematic users though.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper