Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Post by Martell » January 11th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Please do not do this on a regular basis. It clutters the forums. It's ok for the one off time when maybe you said something you wished you hadn't, but not for every post.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

BrianEdwards

Re: Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Post by BrianEdwards » January 11th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I see that our editing privelages have been greatly limited :)

I don't ever get my grammar or words right the first time. Typing on an iPhone is the root cause. There's always an edit or two required, as I don't like having a misspelled word or improper punctuation. I've got a post from this afternoon that I'd like to fix some of those things in..

Maybe as time goes on we could get 24 hours to edit. I so agree that the Geographics stuff is maddening. I'd be fine seeing his 1010 posts removed to unclog the forum and make people's forum stats more accurate.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 11th, 2013, 11:01 pm

I agree Brian, I often edit my grammar or spelling with the edit button. For some reason using the preview button I never catch all my mistakes.

I set it to a temporary three hour limit for now, but that won't be permanent :)
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 12th, 2013, 10:07 am

Martell wrote:I set it to a temporary three hour limit for now, but that won't be permanent :)
Ouch! Sure hope not. I've had to edit bad links to correct posts that were months old.

If you could convince the rest of the Internet to just leave stuff where you put it, well, then, alright. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Martell

Post by Martell » January 12th, 2013, 2:33 pm

The temporary edit lock is lifted. :)

For people who do this to several posts, they will lose the ability to edit their posts.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 12th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Thanks, good choice :)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 12th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Excellent resolution! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mcds

Post by mcds » January 14th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Martell wrote: For people who do this to several posts, they will lose the ability to edit their posts.
This is not a policy that I am comfortable with, particularly it being retroactive. Forward going would be another thing.

I, like everyone else here, joined when ph.org allowed unlimited editing. That was the rule of content. If you created it, you could edit it. That was the culture. Whether or not we liked the scope of editing, we all agreed to it. We all agreed to it and contributed knowing others might use that aspect in ways we ourselves would not. To make retroactive a change as fundamental as that is not fair, to say the least.

I will continue to consider all my past posts to be fully editable at will.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 14th, 2013, 6:03 pm

No worry, you will continue to be able to edit your posts whenever you want.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm

I'm only talking about deleting everything and replacing your entire post with a ".", not just normal editing of a post. I don't think anyone can honestly expect to be able to do that to all their posts. Just imagine if everyone did it, the forum would be a mess.

If you have something sensitive in a post you want to take out that's fine of course.

Technically, you do agree to your posts being stored, "As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database." This is standard policy for internet forums. It would be trivial for a third party to mirror all the forum posts as well, something you would have no ability to edit.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper