Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
justpeachy

Re: Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Post by justpeachy » January 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

See the first post in this thread for an example of what Martell is talking about.

Chase

Post by Chase » January 16th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Please do not limit editing abilities. If you did, threads like this one by Koda would be a mess because they'd have to make the thread very long and difficult to read.

By the way, that should be moved to the maps/cartography section.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear? Edit abilities are not limited at all. People can edit any post going back as far as they like, including Koda.

Only if you start going back in time and wiping away all your posts will you have your edit abilities limited.

Thanks!

(And the other exception is obvious spammers who like to go back in time and add spam links to their posts, that will get you banned!)
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

mcds

Post by mcds » January 16th, 2013, 2:41 pm

You agree that “Portland Hikers” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Portland Hikers” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
Underline is mine.

To see it in full, you have to log out then click the nav-bar link "Register"

I will continue to consider all my past posts to be fully editable, at will, which, to be clear, includes removing consent, that is, "deletion".

Martell

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Posting something is giving consent for it to be posted.

You can consider all your posts fully editable. If you systematically delete all your posts by changing the content to a ".", however, your editing privileges will be revoked.

Just like if you post spam, or start harassing people your privileges to post will be revoked. If you started making hundreds of new posts containing a "." we'd probably have to ban you because it's just a silly thing to do.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

mcds

Post by mcds » January 16th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Posting something is giving consent for it to be posted.
Deletion is removal of consent.
Last edited by mcds on January 16th, 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 3:02 pm

We have always had a limit on deleting posts. As soon as someone replies to your post or after a certain time limit (I think it is set to 30 minutes) you may not delete your own post. This is not a new setting.

Using the "geographics loophole" as a way around the deletion setting for mass deleting posts is not acceptable. It clutters up the forums.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

mcds

Post by mcds » January 16th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Dotting-out is deletion.

Look at BrianEdwards's looksee link here

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 8&start=17

Geographics eventually dotted-out all of his posts in several spats over time. Your "Forever or Never" policy is new.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I'm saying there is a setting in the software that restricts the amount of time before you are no longer allowed to delete your own post. It's separate from the setting for editing it. This setting hasn't even been changed recently, it was never our intention that people could delete their own posts.

We didn't fully realize for a while the extent to which geographics was deleting his posts. We talked to him about not doing it (as well as other things). He left the site on his own accord as I remember. At the time, I didn't know the software would even allow me to restrict a single user from editing their posts, I thought it was only available via the server wide setting. We had locked it server wide (like I did temporarily recently) back then for a while, but people like to be able to edit their posts so we changed it back.

If I had known at the time that I could have stopped just geographics from doing it, without making a headache for everyone else, I would have done it. Unfortunately I don't have perfect knowledge of phpbb.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 16th, 2013, 3:24 pm

This site, like most websites, is privately owned. The site owners have the right to set and to change any policies they wish. In the case of this forum, the owners are an organization (Trail Keepers of Oregon). Unlike most private forums, you have a chance to affect forum policies if you join the organization and take an active role. The rest of us are here as guests.