Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Re: Editing Posts and Replacing with a .

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I'm happy to explain the policy, but I think we are usually pretty lenient. The only two people who have ever done this in the history of the site both were abusing the forum in other ways as well, so really I don't even expect to have to enforce it on a regular basis.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 16th, 2013, 3:29 pm

This site, like most websites, is privately owned. The site owners have the right to set and to change any policies they wish. In the case of this forum, the owners are an organization (Trail Keepers of Oregon). Unlike most private forums, you have a chance to affect forum policies if you join the organization and take an active role. The rest of us are here as guests.

mcds

Post by mcds » January 16th, 2013, 3:57 pm

You could have banned Geographics, as you are now saying you will do to anyone who deletes too many of their old posts. By your own admission, you didn't ban Geographics. "Forever or Never" is a new policy.

1) announce it formally
2) let members accept/decline retroactive application
3) append the date to the usernames of those who decline
4) create a new account with the old username

Supposedly, very, very few members are against the new policy.

mcds

Post by mcds » January 16th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Grannyhiker wrote: The site owners have the right to set and to change any policies they wish.
Agreed, but not retroactively.

Martell

Post by Martell » January 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Seriously? I'm sorry were too lenient on geographics. Any other refereeing you'd like to do today?

No I didn't say I would ban anyone who did this. I said I'd remove their ability to edit.
We still didn't establish that not wanting people to do this is a new policy. You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it true.

Please go find someone else's time to waste (and something worthwhile to be outraged about). I'm done discussing this. Topic is locked.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 21st, 2013, 8:00 pm

I think what Dan did was great. And I appreciate his work.

Personally, I'm not really into rules.

If someone is an obvious problem, we will do what we think is the right thing.

And make every effort to let people say what they wish - which is more than 99% of the time.

But that's just my opinion.