spell checking

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
mcds

spell checking

Post by mcds » December 29th, 2012, 5:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone else is having difficulty getting their bowser's spellcheck-as-you-type function to work when composing a post within the ph.org textarea? It used to work fine, for me, but now it doesn't work at all. The work around that I've found by chance is to open up gmail and start composing a message. After that, even if I logout of gmail and close all gmail windows, spellcheck-as-you-type starts working in the ph.org message composition textarea. This is with Firefox. I suppose it a bug with Firefox.

Eric Peterson

Re: spell checking

Post by Eric Peterson » December 29th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Hmm... mine never did spell check auto, just leaves a red squiggly line under the text and I have to
right click on it for options of what I want. I wonder if T-Roy is having the same problem? Oh, using
Firefox as well...

mcds

Post by mcds » December 29th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Eric Peterson wrote: just leaves a red squiggly line under the text and I have to
right click on it for options of what I want.
Thanks Eric, the red squigglies are not appearing unless I first carry out the workaround. Then they appear, which is all i'm after.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 29th, 2012, 6:48 pm

I can't recreate this in Firefox (Windows). Do you have the latest version? Any add-ons that might affect it?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

mcds

Post by mcds » December 29th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Martell wrote:I can't recreate this in Firefox (Windows). Do you have the latest version? Any add-ons that might affect it?
Thanks Martell. Firefox 16.0.1 (Linux), I don't do addons. Maybe gmail loads some css or js that by coincidence tweaks the browser. The issue is pretty small in the scheme of things.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 29th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Okay - I don't mind sounding stupid so I'll ask, how do you turn on spell check as you type?

I'm using IE9 - I hope that doesn't make me sound stupid either :)

mcds

Post by mcds » December 29th, 2012, 8:41 pm

For Firefox, it's a check box under Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General