Supported Attachment Types

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
kepPNW

Supported Attachment Types

Post by kepPNW » August 20th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Just wondering what filetypes are allowed (or not allowed?) as attachments. I've been thwarted a few times with seemingly innocuous (or even beneficial) filetypes. Just now, I tried attaching a TXT file of supplementary information to a post, and that was rejected. Previously, I was prevented from attaching a KMZ file. The KMZ is particularly puzzling, since it's just a zipped KML file, which is itself simply a formatted TXT file.

If this is something "TPTB" control (whoever that may be? :)), I'd encourage consideration of allowing these formats.

Thanks...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Martell

Re: Supported Attachment Types

Post by Martell » August 23rd, 2012, 12:51 pm

KMZ and TXT are allowed now. We have to explicitly allow file types and mainly just allow images.

You are always free to host a file elsewhere and link to it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

kepPNW

Re: Supported Attachment Types

Post by kepPNW » August 23rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

Martell wrote:KMZ and TXT are allowed now. We have to explicitly allow file types and mainly just allow images.

You are always free to host a file elsewhere and link to it.
Appreciated, Dan. I do host all my images elsewhere, to make sure you're not hit with the bandwidth for those. And was trying to save bandwidth with the KMZ. I'm sure TXT would be a very rare need. I was going to do an EXIF dump to one, just to give an example of what exiftool can do, but didn't think it needed to clutter the main thread view.

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...