Lots of trouble accessing the site

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
drm

Lots of trouble accessing the site

Post by drm » August 10th, 2012, 9:17 am

I've had a lot of trouble accessing the site recently, particularly this morning, though it happens more often in the evening. Usually it just says that it can't connect. Sometimes it says that database connections have exceeded the allowed amount.

I have seen a number of new users posting, and I would guess that for every person posting a first trip report, there are quite a few new lurkers, and each needs a database connection.

I know we saw this issue a while back and had to upgrade the hosting account in some way. Maybe we are at that point again.

Crusak

Re: Lots of trouble accessing the site

Post by Crusak » August 10th, 2012, 11:21 am

I had the same issue last night and this morning. The error said something about 'max user connections' :(
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

IDratherbehiking

Post by IDratherbehiking » August 10th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I had the same trouble yesterday in the early afternoon.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 10th, 2012, 1:26 pm

I've run into it occasionally in the evenings. I believe I posted about this a year or so ago--this didn't just start! However, it's not nearly as bad as it was back in early 2008 before the migration to the current server!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 10th, 2012, 2:00 pm

I'm on a flaky, slow speed connection so it's hard to know whether it's my connection or PH.org (or both) that's screwing me up.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm

It's not the speed (mine is flaky too, and I'm ready to ditch Frontier for Comcast), but that we can't connect at all and get the error messages described above.

So far, at least for me it hasn't been enough to get annoying (unlike 2007-08). I'm on here quite a lot lately because of being laid up this spring and summer. It's good that drm started this thread to alert the systems folks that it's happening before things get to the state it was 4-5 years ago!

Martell

Post by Martell » August 23rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

It's a shared server so my guess would be the problem is with other people on the server. Sometimes it is flakier at night, but we will watch if the problems continue.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

hlee

Post by hlee » August 23rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

I had a problem accessing the site just now.

Then I realized my one year old niece had unplugged my router. :oops:

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot