Martell any ideas?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
yor888

Martell any ideas?

Post by yor888 » June 17th, 2012, 5:18 am

we recently added spywae, malware and virurs protectoctin to our devices only this old Dell Pc semi works on this site i have lost everthinhg the new units will not even log on this is not nortom or Macafee or windows we have a fire wall to.

EVERYTHING WORKS BUT THIS SITE, comcast cameout 2 very well edjucated soft ware guys from my wifes work plus my wife who works with the giuy said the site is old most likly a has bug by not letting is by not letting us in this is wokimg.

one guy thought maybe your site is compromised our new stuff is doing what. it for made to do.

after useing norton macafee all the office depot crap after six week ny son puters are cl
lear th longest perpod in many months .

pretty well done with site to many otthers working with oid friends to talk to this is way to much work . was screendealeated one time and rewrote it burr\nrd roy.

RobFromRedland

Re: Martell any ideas?

Post by RobFromRedland » June 17th, 2012, 6:46 am

Tom, Roy

I've followed your "issues" with the site, but I've never seen a detailed explanation of exactly what your issue is? I can tell you that this site is "current", it isn't old technology or even weird, off the wall stuff. It is very mainstream. It is running phpBB, which is a VERY well used forum software which is used all over the place. I would venture to say that it is the most popular forum software in use today. If it isn't the most popular, it is in the top three.

If you wish to fix your problems, I think what would be beneficial is a VERY detailed explanation of what your problems are. And when I mean detailed, I mean step by step, EXACTLY what you are doing, down to the mouse click. Are you having problems logging in? Are you having problems viewing postings? What kinds of error messages are you getting? The EXACT wording of the message(s) are extremely helpful - not "it said I had a problem logging in". Sometimes just seeing the EXACT error message can help figure out what the problem is.

I know having too much "security" software can cause more problems that it solves. Sometimes they step on each other and it just causes you more problems which can be VERY difficult to diagnose.

Good luck in your attempt to solve the issues.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » June 17th, 2012, 7:18 am

Hey T-Roy, you might want to delete the McAfee and Norton stuff and just use AVG Free.

Rob is correct, having more than one AV client running will for sure step on each other
and cause the problems it seems you are having, whatever those problems are.

It's what all my PC's use in this house and we keep completely clean, and the AV software
is free!

Koda

Post by Koda » June 17th, 2012, 8:32 am

agree with Eric and Rob, if your going to continue to query the Portland Hikers knowledge to fix your PC then more detail is needed. 100% get rid of Norton or McCaffee and use AVG free. Get rid of adaware or any other spyware applications too, AVG will do it all.

one hunch I have is your PC is referencing an old or compromised site security certificate. I think this only based on your brief vague description of the problem but it sounds like you don't want to compromise your computers security by ignoring the warning message and viewing the website anyways.

just a guess here.... is this what your seeing?

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 17th, 2012, 9:52 am

Koda - I didn't even know that PH.org had a secure site.....Thanks for the info!

Tom/Roy - another crucial piece of information is what browser (and version) you are using. IE can be WAY different than Firefox or Chrome or Safari.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Guy

Post by Guy » June 17th, 2012, 10:19 am

Agreed,

T-Roy, I would uninstall ALL spyware, Anti Virus, Addblockers, Firewalls other than what Windows has then begin again with one product, I've used Zone Alarm Suite for years but Nothing wrong with AVG especially as it's free. You really don't need anything else if you practice safe practices about where you go on the internet!

Also delete ALL your internet temp files, cookies & if I were you I wouldn't use IE use Firefox or Chrome.

Bon Chance!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Koda

Post by Koda » June 17th, 2012, 10:56 am

RobFromRedland wrote:Koda - I didn't even know that PH.org had a secure site.....Thanks for the info!
I don't know either, maybe Martell can clarify? I was just hypothesizing on T-Roys part, again his problem is not described in detail. It does not appear that the site is secure or encrypted actually when I view the site information in Chrome. Information sent over the internet that is not encrypted can be seen as others....

This is about as far as I can realistically go, especially with no real information on the problem. My curiosity is piqued in my own interest of learning more I am my own IT person for home computing issues...
Menu_001.jpeg
Chromium browser site information for PH

PS: agree, ditch IE, use Chrome or Firefox...

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 17th, 2012, 8:54 pm

You can tell if a site is encrypted or not by the URL. http:// is not encrypted. https:// (s stands for secure) means it is encrypted. More and more websites that require logins are going to https: to prevent passwords from being sniffed. Banks, and shopping site have been (or should have been) encrypted from the beginning.

I typed in https://portlandhikers.org and it directed me to the site after giving me a certificate name mismatch (the certificate appears to belong to the hosting company for portlandhikers.org). Once I accepted the certificate mismatch, it appears to work OK, but I'm not sure that is a "supported" configuration....I'm guessing it is used mostly for administration.

FYI, another tidbit of information for you - I'm not sure where you got that certificate error from, but the ip address (192.168.2.251) is an internal address, so it was coming from something within your home. That ip address is what they call non routeable, so it will never be passed on by a router on the internet. Those are typically the addresses assigned behind a home router setup.

Sorry to hijack the thread. That was not my intention....Just trying to help out a little bit.

Martell

Post by Martell » June 17th, 2012, 9:06 pm

What Koda said:
If you wish to fix your problems, I think what would be beneficial is a VERY detailed explanation of what your problems are. And when I mean detailed, I mean step by step, EXACTLY what you are doing, down to the mouse click. Are you having problems logging in? Are you having problems viewing postings? What kinds of error messages are you getting? The EXACT wording of the message(s) are extremely helpful - not "it said I had a problem logging in". Sometimes just seeing the EXACT error message can help figure out what the problem is.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Koda

Post by Koda » June 17th, 2012, 9:47 pm

RobFromRedland wrote: I'm not sure where you got that certificate error from, but the ip address (192.168.2.251) is an internal address, so it was coming from something within your home......
actually that was a random screenshot image I stole from Google/images search for an example of a cert. error, not anything I visited... (I use Chrome)
Martell wrote:What Koda said:
actually what Rob said.... since were being technical and all :)