embed live Hillmap into trip reports

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Koda

embed live Hillmap into trip reports

Post by Koda » March 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Wanting to be able to have more options for embedding a live topo map showing your gps route or track and waypoint information to include in your trip reports, I think would be very useful. I find using the Hillmap browser application extremely easy to use and feature rich in trip reporting, trip and route planning. Instant down, and uploading of GPS data into Hillmap is one of the most useful features to share with others, all displayed on an editable topo map with many layers to build upon.

Hillmap example here from a recent trip report I posted from Barlow Butte. I'd like to see what it takes to get this available as a live embedded utility... http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... 1hcBi4tBMM
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

ryanb

Re: embed live Hillmap into trip reports

Post by ryanb » March 10th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Hi all, I'm the creator of hillmap (and a Seattle hiker, don't hold that against me). Koda asked me to participate in this thread.

Currently I support embedding of hillmap routes in blog posts etc (example: http://blog.hillmap.com/2012/03/caltopo ... dding.html) via an html iframe (available via the link button). This forum doesn't seem to support straight html but I think it should be possible to wire this into this site like has been done for gmaps4 but I've never worked with this forum software.

The hillmap gps import code only works with modern browsers (like chrome and firefox) but I try to make it quite convenient...you can just drag your gpx file onto the site and it should work.

I've also though about offering some javascript or an iframe that could be included in forums to allow users to import gpx's and generate embeded hillmap's without leaving the forum site but I haven't work out all the details.

Also hillmap is very much a work in progress and I'm open to suggestions on the above or anything else though I can't promise I will have time to get to all of them. My overarching goal is to provide easy and free access to maps and data that promote the appreciation and preservation of wild places.

Martell

Post by Martell » March 11th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Yeah I will get this set up once I have a chance. Since it works in an iframe, I should be able to do it fairly easily now that I have figured out how to do that securely.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 11th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Dan, you can also set up GPS Fly as it also embeds using a iFrame as well :)

Koda

Post by Koda » March 11th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Martell wrote:Yeah I will get this set up once I have a chance. Since it works in an iframe, I should be able to do it fairly easily now that I have figured out how to do that securely.
excited, this will be such an easy way to share GPS data and show tracks on a map at the same time. The drag and drop GPX file into Hillmap is the easiest map utility around.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 3rd, 2012, 9:04 am

bump

Martell

Post by Martell » April 12th, 2012, 3:03 pm

All set.

-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » April 12th, 2012, 3:04 pm

I can add gpsfly, just point me to an example page with an iframe or a full screen map link. Never mind- see the other post.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Koda

Post by Koda » April 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm

testing...

Koda

Post by Koda » April 12th, 2012, 3:15 pm

bammola... TR's and discussion will never be the same. That was so easy...

Thanks Martell...