"outdoor safety", discussion regarding a new forum

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
retired jerry

Re: "outdoor safety", discussion regarding a new forum

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2012, 11:12 am

If you go to the field guide, then click on "about hiking", there are a number of topics that are referred to in various hikes, including ticks

I also made a "lightweight backpacking" where I put a bunch of links, mostly from you grannyhiker. I kind of intended to put more there, but my attention span has drifted...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 14th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I'd be willing to weigh in on things too if people want my opinions. I don't think I've been shy about that in the past :lol:

A lot of "survival tips and tricks" articles have terrible terrible advice in them.. I've seen enough mistakes made over the years, made a few myself, and seen the results of those mistakes both good and bad.

Koda

Post by Koda » March 16th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Crusak wrote:.....the fact that there isn't a single way to get 'er done when it comes to survival.
that right there sums up any disclaimer. :)
Jane wrote:My first concern is basic "authorship"; "who" do we use as the "expert?" someone(s) from here?
whoever volunteers to do a write up. There are no experts on survival, but only techniques that like Crusak eluded to there is no single way.... it would just be a good resource to document in one place those techniques.

My thoughts on formatting the topic though is still with an 'article' that does not allow comments. I don't think it would be productive to allow them, after a TR or other discussion post here gets long enough I lose interest if the thread hasn't already drifted from the OP. I imagine that after a topic is posted, readers could start their own thread in the general section to discuss. From there, any errors could be exposed or worked out and the author could update/revise their topic.

just brainstorming here.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2