"outdoor safety", discussion regarding a new forum

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
geographics

"outdoor safety", discussion regarding a new forum

Post by geographics » January 18th, 2012, 9:47 am

=
Last edited by geographics on April 6th, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martell

Re: "outdoor safety", discussion regarding a new forum

Post by Martell » January 18th, 2012, 10:00 am

Another option is someone could make a post with links to important safety topics and we could sticky it. They would have to maintain the post by editing it every now and then.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 18th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I like the idea.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 18th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Maybe Health and Safety, so it would include staying healthy in the outdoors as well as staying safe? Of course that gets us into water purification and TP....

texasbb

Post by texasbb » January 18th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Martell wrote:Another option is someone could make a post with links to important safety topics and we could sticky it. They would have to maintain the post by editing it every now and then.
Health and Safety idea good. Sticky bad.

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 30th, 2012, 12:46 pm

I think a new category would be good, lots of people could probably have something to contribute and that would likely overwhelm whoever managed a sticky thread and things wouldn't get updated like they should.
Hi!

Koda

Post by Koda » March 10th, 2012, 10:04 am

texasbb wrote: Health and Safety idea good. Sticky bad.
why would a sticky topic on safety be bad? I'm assuming a "stuck" topic stays at the top of a forum section for all to find easy. Outdoor safety topic would be good reading and beneficial to all. I'm also assuming a stuck topic does not allow comments.... ?

just stumbled on this thread, but I'd be willing to contribute to maintaining such a topic. All ideas here so far are great.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » March 10th, 2012, 11:44 am

:D Totally awesome idea. I keep trying to build fires the Bear Grylls way, a flint and pocket knife, but keep failing. Then I pop out my phosphorus grenade, in which everything burns up, so I just use the waterproof matches with the wet striking pad :cry: . It would be really awesome to learn SAR safety and techniques too. Good job, Koda! Can't wait. When will we find out?

ForestKeeper

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 10th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Koda wrote:
texasbb wrote: Health and Safety idea good. Sticky bad.
why would a sticky topic on safety be bad? I'm assuming a "stuck" topic stays at the top of a forum section for all to find easy. Outdoor safety topic would be good reading and beneficial to all. I'm also assuming a stuck topic does not allow comments.... ?

just stumbled on this thread, but I'd be willing to contribute to maintaining such a topic. All ideas here so far are great.
It sounds like the idea is to add a safety forum to the forums, giving health & safety it's own place on the forums (instead of just a 'topic')

Great idea everyone! I hope they add it.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 11th, 2012, 9:37 am

Stickies sound like a great idea, but by in large they're ignored most of the time. Especially once they're established... Most people aren't going to dive into a thread with a few hundred posts in it