Server errors are getting worse

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
adamschneider

Server errors are getting worse

Post by adamschneider » January 9th, 2024, 7:15 pm

For several years, this forum has been unreliable in the wee hours: lots of "Gateway Timeout" errors just after midnight.

But for the past week, the errors have been cropping up in the middle of the day, multiple times per day.

Has something changed? Is there a solution?

Limey

Re: Server errors are getting worse

Post by Limey » January 9th, 2024, 9:48 pm

I had the gateway issue Sunday night about 9pm. It was really strange though, I could enter the forums, bring up a topic with no problem but when I tried to read a post I'd get the gateway timeout. Couldn't report it cuz I couldn't post. I kept trying, finally gave up about 11pm and went to bed. It just seemed weird that it only happened in one section of the site.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 10th, 2024, 8:46 am

Yes. It's been bad lately. I just give up and come back another time (although yesterday evening I was able to create a rather complex page in the FG without issue).

Martell

Post by Martell » January 20th, 2024, 6:13 pm

Nothing I know of has changed recently. I’ll take a look.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 20th, 2024, 7:24 pm

There was one day with a lot of server errors.

Okay sense

Martell

Post by Martell » January 22nd, 2024, 9:03 am

We probably need to something to upgrade the server OS/php pairing at some point. I'd really like to dockerize (and in general modernize the infrastructure) for the forum and field guide web apps. An even bigger can of worms would be changing the forum software, but I doubt there's motivation to do that. We've had an offer to get assistance from TKO to help with the problems the site has had, and given the amount of energy I have for this project, maybe it'd be better to get a few people together.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

happilyretired

Post by happilyretired » February 11th, 2024, 12:59 pm

Well presumably we all know it was a rough few days. Thanks to whoever fixed things.

Probably been asked before, but - anything needed to help? Cash? Tech noodling? Stop posting <g>?

Hikingindepth

Post by Hikingindepth » March 6th, 2024, 1:36 pm

Hey All,

This is Curtis and I'm the chair for the TKO communication committee. We did discuss the website issue today and the plan is to get together with Dan and spread some of the responsibility as well as game plan for containerizing the site. If anyone is interested in volunteering some time to help with the effort please reach out, we'd love to have you! [email protected]

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » April 21st, 2024, 8:47 pm

The 504 errors have been really bad lately and super sporadic. Feels like a 50/50 chance on whether the forums will load or not, regardless of the time of day.

Martell

Post by Martell » April 22nd, 2024, 12:47 pm

We do have a plan and are working on setting things up behind the scenes, but no noticeable changes have been made yet.

We had an uptick of errors lately. It looks like some bots are slamming the field guide with a massive # of requests. I'll see if something can be done.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper