TripReports template problems in the Field Guide.

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
pablo

TripReports template problems in the Field Guide.

Post by pablo » August 9th, 2008, 9:48 pm

I was editing a FG entry and ran across a problem with templates.

The field guide has the following template for searching trip reports for the current entry but gets a 404 from portlandhikers.org. As there are 2 sites to search probably need to make this template go for each one - like one searches the archive and another link searches the new site.

I'm just guessing here for the search string URL for the new site - needs someone who knows better to look at it.

=== Trip Reports ===
* Search Trip Reports for [http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/sea ... NCODE:{{{1}}}}} {{{1}}}]
* Search Trip Reports in the archive for [http://portlandhikers.org/search/Search ... NCODE:{{{1}}}}} {{{1}}}]

I'm not that familiar with the macros here but I suspect changing the current template link to point ot portlandhikers.com instead of .org will go part way.

I may be wrong about all this. There is at least one other template with a problem linking back to the old site - the one about adding a discussion.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Martell

Re: TripReports template problems in the Field Guide.

Post by Martell » August 11th, 2008, 8:21 am

I noticed this issue a little bit ago, but I was too lazy at the time to fix it, and then I forgot about it. I will put in a fix- and thanks for doing the legwork.

This issue, and also the other thread about linking trip reports to the field guide, have made me think that we should implement a more robust system for joining the two together. It would be neat if when posting a trip report there was a drop down list of hikes in the field guide, and you could select the hike covered by your trip report (or "other", which would be the default). There would be several useful things we could do with such a system.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

pablo

Re: TripReports template problems in the Field Guide.

Post by pablo » August 11th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Martell wrote:I noticed this issue a little bit ago, but I was too lazy at the time to fix it, and then I forgot about it. I will put in a fix- and thanks for doing the legwork.

This issue, and also the other thread about linking trip reports to the field guide, have made me think that we should implement a more robust system for joining the two together. It would be neat if when posting a trip report there was a drop down list of hikes in the field guide, and you could select the hike covered by your trip report (or "other", which would be the default). There would be several useful things we could do with such a system.
Thx. It was the other thread you mention that got me going on this. I think linking trip reports and field guide entries is a terrific idea and I was hoping the 'search' in the field guide entry would do this. Trip reports can be added by hand to field guide entries easily enough and likewise links can be made from trip reports back to FG entries but any kind of automation will increase the likelihood these links will be created by authors at either end of the process.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.