Marshall Park Hike 9-4-10 (and suggestions for Field Guide)

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
timotheosj

Marshall Park Hike 9-4-10 (and suggestions for Field Guide)

Post by timotheosj » September 4th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Me, my wife, and two-year old hiked the trail from 12th St. today, having selected it due to the reference to the play area (which includes swings and a slide) for kids and due to the fact that it was suggested in the "Find a Hike" tool as a family hike. I'd refine the description since it was not a good hike for young children. It was very hilly, the trail along the creek was full of blackberry branches, there were three or more locations where one must cross very narrow (in some cases 10"?) bridges over short and shallow creek beds, not to mention the 20 yard Tryon Creek crossing using the potentially slippery felled tree as a bridge. Furthermore, the trail had no signage at the junction of other trails, causing confusion. As a side note, it is unfortunate how rampant the english ivy is in the park. It is obvious someone or group of people (volunteers?) have recently cleared some areas of the invasive, but it'd take an army of people to entirely clear the location. If anyone reading this has taken the time to clear the ivy in the park: thank you!

Splintercat

Re: Marshall Park Hike 9-4-10 Review

Post by Splintercat » September 6th, 2010, 8:54 am

Thanks for the feedback on the Field Guide -- I'll bump this topic over to feedback area so that the author of that hike sees it.

Welcome to Portland Hikers!

Tom :)

Martell

Re: Marshall Park Hike 9-4-10 (and suggestions for Field Guide)

Post by Martell » September 30th, 2010, 7:44 am

This trail has degenerated quite a bit, and can be tricky when it is muddy. I take my son there who is almost two a few times a month (he is mostly just interested in throwing rocks in the water), but there are definitely a couple parts I have to walk really carefully on. The boards do add a bit of adventure- that area didn't used to be so washed out. Also, I've found it's easier to cross upstream from where the log is, unless you go right after a bunch of rain, when the water can be high. Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry if you had a bad day out there. I'll remove the family friendly designation.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper