Mosier Twin Tunnel- Higher fees

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
meana39

Mosier Twin Tunnel- Higher fees

Post by meana39 » March 7th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Just did the Mosier Twin Tunnel hike from the Eastern trailhead....the fee to park there is now $5.00, just thought you might want to change it in the field guide. Don't know when the fee went up it was just $3.00 a month ago when I went.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

chameleon

Re: Mosier Twin Tunnel- Higher fees

Post by chameleon » March 7th, 2010, 10:59 pm

I was up there a couple weeks ago. It was a fun hike, but I have to admit that all the bikers really annoyed me. I don't have anything against bicyclers, but they belong some places...and not others. Given the unique nature of the tunnels, I'd have to say that it is in the latter category. I swear I must have been zipped by by at least a couple hundred bicyclists, none of whom really seemed to be enjoying the scenic nature of the route. Most of them were trying to talk to their lycra wearing buddy as they raced by at 35 mph, next to elderly folks smelling flowers and mom's with little kids in hand.

In my mind, if you're looking for a workout on your bike, you don't need to be on a neat path like that. Leave the special places to those are there for sake of the place, not just chalking up another day on the training log.

klossner

Post by klossner » March 8th, 2010, 11:25 am

I respectfully disagree. The morning I took my young daughters bicycling through the tunnels was one of our most memorable.

The route is paved, so this is certainly a place where non-motorized wheeled vehicles are appropriate.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » March 8th, 2010, 12:17 pm

I see your point. Young daughters with their dad's riding their bikes through the tunnels are far different than spandex clad, power-bar logoed jackasses, talking on their bluetooths though. I think when they planned the restoration as a walking/biking path they had folks like you and your kids in mind as opposed to the "look at me in my hot, skin-tight padded shorts and space-age aerodynamic helmet" types who race along it, hoping you'll be impressed by their incredible speed and sponsored shirt. Perhaps if they put a speed limit on it - like 10 mph, I'd be more inclined to support bicyclists there. At least then you'd know they're riding it at least in part to enjoy it for what it is.

Or howbout this...institute a dress code on that trail - make it a spandex/licra free zone - baggy clothes only. lol. That'd limit the bike traffic to the more recreational-minded folks for sure :)!

cfm

Post by cfm » March 8th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Whoah Zach, :shock: You've got some issues here.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » March 8th, 2010, 7:47 pm

chameleon wrote:institute a dress code on that trail - make it a spandex/licra free zone
How about making it clothing-free? That way you'd get a ton more hikers and photographers. But on second thought, the bicyclists would have to pedal three times as fast to preserve their modesty, so safety really wouldn't be all that enhanced.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

oregoncurtis

Post by oregoncurtis » April 21st, 2010, 9:41 am

The page has been updated. Thanks!

-Curtis