trip report links

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
obladi

trip report links

Post by obladi » November 28th, 2009, 10:33 am

I've noticed that some of the trip reports and Q & A pages linked from the "find a hike" section of the web site are linked to portlandhikers.com (with what I am assuming is a correct extension if it was portlandhikers.org). portlandhikers.com seems to be an unrelated commercial website. If you substitute the "org" for the "com" in the address menu my browser still goes to the .com website and my address bar also switches to the .com.
Luke

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

http://home.comcast.net/~l.danielson/nw ... iking.html

Grannyhiker

Re: trip report links

Post by Grannyhiker » November 28th, 2009, 2:21 pm

The items listed as "portlandhikers.com" are the archives of this site from 2006-2008, as pointed out in my recent post: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =19&t=3613

The old site, before PortlandHikers moved to its current host, was portlandhikers.com. Unfortunately the .com domain was allowed to lapse, and someone else bought the name. The archives have been rescued but are not currently available on line. Even before then, the old host computer was so overloaded that trying to link to it usually resulted in error messages.

My suggestion was to delete all the Field Guide links to old trip reports and just leave the "search trip reports for xxxx" and "search trail Q&A for xxx" links there. This automatically shows the most recent reports first. I think somebody is doing this--I just rechecked one Field Guide entry that prompted my previous post, and the links to old reports are no longer there. In the meantime, just ignore links to trip reports prior to May 28, 2008 (the date Portland Hikers moved to its current host) because they won't work.

Many thanks to whoever is doing this arduous cleanup process! :D

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 29th, 2009, 7:38 am

I'm working on removing the old links and correcting the search links to work better.

Should be done by 2016 or so.

:)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 29th, 2009, 7:51 am

Thanks Steve :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 30th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Thanks, Steve! I believe I mentioned this would be an arduous process! It's really great that you're doing this! :D

I hope that someday we get the archives back, at least the archived Trip Reports, but for the Field Guide it's better just to have the search function giving the most recent reports instead.