Burnt Granite Trailhead has been obliterated

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
justpeachy

Burnt Granite Trailhead has been obliterated

Post by justpeachy » August 26th, 2023, 5:39 am

A member of the PortlandHikers group on Facebook reports that the trailhead for the Burnt Granite hike has been obliterated. Probably preceding some logging operations. I added a note to the Field Guide, but it sounds like someone needs to go down there and have a look at some point so the entry can be re-written with a new trailhead identified.

I've not done this hike or poked around this area, but I wonder if the intersection of Roads 4670 and 210 could serve as an alternate trailhead? (map)

For those of you not on Facebook, here's the relevant portion of her post:
I almost drove right past the trail head because it looked so different. Instead of the faint remnants of a forest service road leading up into the trees, there was a freshly cut road. Confused I walked past backhoe shovels up the soft churned earth until I came upon several large pieces of equipment. I then realized that one of my favorite trails was actively being demolished. I suspect that it was becoming a victim of a local logging company. Disoriented I checked my tracking app and discovered I wasn’t on the trail. I turned around and spent almost an hour trying to orient myself amid the rubble and debris. About a mile up from the trail head I finally located an untouched portion of tread, a portion that is doubtlessly no longer in existence. The viewpoint at Burnt Granite is still there (for now anyway) and at some point some trail angels had come and cleaned out a ton of blow town near the top which eased my passage. I noticed flagging down to another ancient forest road that has since been overtaken by the trees but is still noticeable as a path. I suspect that the intent is to change the trailhead from the current one listed in the Oregon Hikers trail guide to this other road. (Gaia app has this other road labeled as National Forest Road 6310270—yes really).

RobFromRedland

Re: Burnt Granite Trailhead has been obliterated

Post by RobFromRedland » August 26th, 2023, 4:13 pm

FYI (and I posted this on the Facebook posting as well) - it isn't quite as bad as it sounds. I went up there today to check things out. The "existing" trailhead for Burnt Granite was a repurposed old Skid/Spur road. That road has been reopened, but they stopped where the real trail started. You walk up the newly opened road, take the first left and then a right on a short little piece and you will see the beginning of the real trail. I think the FS has been involved since there was pink and black flagging, which has historically indicated historic artifacts of some kind (in this case, the trail).

Here is the beginning of the real trail at the end of the old spur/skid road (my dog is starting up the trail):
20230826_144443.jpg
The beginning of the real trail
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 27th, 2023, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the info, Rob!

So I take it the FG directions to the "trailhead" are as before, but the walk begins up a revived section of road? Also, can we use your photo in the FG. I'm thinking I'll quote you directly if that's O.K.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » August 28th, 2023, 10:49 am

bobcat wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 6:20 pm
Thanks for the info, Rob!

So I take it the FG directions to the "trailhead" are as before, but the walk begins up a revived section of road? Also, can we use your photo in the FG. I'm thinking I'll quote you directly if that's O.K.
Yes - you walk up what used to be a vague old road which is now very obvious - what may not be obvious are the turns needed now - the left fork and then the right fork - the trail starts 50'ish from the second fork - that is roughly where that picture was taken.

Feel free to use the photo in the FG.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson