Confusing route description: Zigzag Overlook Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Sapo

Confusing route description: Zigzag Overlook Hike

Post by Sapo » July 24th, 2023, 9:13 pm

I’ve tried to follow the directions to get on the Mountaineer Trail and then onto the Timberline Trail twice (today and last summer). Both times I ended up confused, walking up to the Timberline Trail on one of the Bike Park paths. At minimum, I think there needs to be some added explanation of how to cross the Bike Park. I don’t think the Mountaineer Trail is well marked.

However, it might be better to send hikers directly up to the Timberline Trail behind the lodge. That would avoid Bike Park maze confusion.

Also, the Bike Park staff don’t seem to like hikers on their bike paths. Today we were asked not to walk on them again.

Cheers, Sapo

retired jerry

Re: Confusing route description: Zigzag Overlook Hike

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2023, 5:34 am

hmmm... that all is a mess. Many hikes from Timberline Lodge each with their own, different, description. All written before the bike park.

Plus, the "trails" from Timberline Lodge are all braided - many confusing choices. That change over time.

Plus, the description is mixed with flower names and stuff.

The proper way to do this would be to have all the hikes that go west from Timberline Lodge link to a common block of code so that if it ever has to be changed, it only has to be changed at the one place

Maybe the description should be more general, like "go about 1/2 mile west and up about 200 feet elevation gain on any trail until you reach the Timberline/Pacific Crest Trail"

I will have to ponder that...

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 25th, 2023, 6:09 am

I always head up directly to the PCT from the main car park... gets the climbing done all at once and it's the most straightforward. I never messed with those other trails, even before the bike park existed.

Would it be easier/more straightforward to follow the lower route on the return, like are there fewer places to take a wrong turn? Maybe the description would be best to start on the PCT above the lodge and give an option for the return on the lower route.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2023, 7:24 am

If you go straight up to the PCT, then you have to drop about 80 feet of elevation to get to the Mountaineer Trail/PCT junction.

If you go west from Timberline lodge on any of the braided trails to the Mountaineer Trail/PCT junction, you save 80 feet of elevation gain. That's what I've always done. Even though I have occasionally gotten onto the wrong trail for a bit.

Maybe "go uphill on any of the many trails about 0.2 mile and 200 feet of elevation gain to the Timberline Trail/Pacific Crest Trail and go about 1/2 mile west to the junction with the Mountaineer Trail. You can go more directly to the junction on any of several other trails"

Hmmm... that's too complicated...

Maybe "go to the junction of the Pacific Crest Trail and the Mountaineer Trail, 3/4 mile northwest of Timberline Lodge on any trail"

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 25th, 2023, 8:35 am

Wow, I've never looked at those directions before. That would honestly confuse me even knowing the area.

Why would you not just go up to the PCT? It's well marked, there's a big ol' landmark with the communications tower you can orient people to for added direction, and there's lot of people going the same way you can follow. And I know people just really like the idea of, "Cool, we're headed out on the PCT!"
Plus, the description is mixed with flower names and stuff.
Since you brought it up... this has always really bothered me. I don't use the field guide for directions anymore, but when I did it made it so hard to follow. I used to have to copy/paste the text to a separate file and carefully read through to make sure I didn't miss an important turn or landmark buried in the text, deleting everything that wasn't directions as I went. At the least I wished the directions part were bolded, and broken into new paragraphs at important steps like junctions to make sure you don't miss it.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2023, 11:28 am

"Why would you not just go up to the PCT?"

To save maybe 0.1 mile and 80 feet of elevation gain

That may be insignificant

I have never gone straight up because I am efficient :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 25th, 2023, 9:19 pm

squidvicious wrote:
July 25th, 2023, 8:35 am
I used to have to copy/paste the text to a separate file and carefully read through to make sure I didn't miss an important turn or landmark buried in the text, deleting everything that wasn't directions as I went.
Me too!
I really don't mind doing that. It's easy for me to take stuff out, but some folks might appreciate the more detailed description ("after 3 switchbacks, you'll pass by a large hemlock and then through a swimming-pool sized meadow").

Anyway, I go through the lodge parking lot and wander around until I end up where I need to be.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 25th, 2023, 9:20 pm

retired jerry wrote:
July 25th, 2023, 11:28 am
"Why would you not just go up to the PCT?"

To save maybe 0.1 mile and 80 feet of elevation gain

That may be insignificant

I have never gone straight up because I am efficient :)
I'll admit I'm just old and lazy :|

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2023, 5:07 am

that is a nice little section of trail though. I look forward to it when hiking around the mountain. Nice view of Timberline Lodge. Places where you could put up a tent and then go down to the lodge for a bite to eat or a refreshing drink.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 26th, 2023, 7:04 am

I've been doing a lot of hiking my whole life but it's still always kinda cool to see the fancy PCT sign with the mileages to Canada and Mexico... which you don't see if you stay down lower. As long as it isn't being mobbed by non-hiking lodge visitors Instagramming next to it, that is.

For my friends who aren't as hiking-savvy, when they join me on a hike to the Overlook or Paradise Park they LOVE seeing that sign. It's like proof that they hiked on the actual PCT and they wear it like a badge of honour.
instagram: @remyodyssey