Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
squidvicious

Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post by squidvicious » December 7th, 2022, 12:39 pm

While checking this page to see what it currently says about the parking problems, I ran into some problems.

First, there are two of them:
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _trailhead
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Trailhead

Notice the capitalization difference. The first I found via the search. The second was linked via the multnomah falls hike page. The second one is the more accurate and more recently updated one.

The "updated" page also needs some further updates. Under Alternatives to Driving, The Waterfall Trolley is missing. And the link to the Sasquatch Shuttle is dead--it points to a subpage for the route map, and should probably just go to the main page. It's possibly also worth pointing out that those only run in peak season.

retired jerry

Re: Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post by retired jerry » December 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm

weird

the first time I looked at those two links there seemed to be a difference, but now they're the same

both updated 18 April 2022 with "add timed use permit"

all I did was go to the Multnomah Falls Hike and both capitalizations of the trailhead, look at history, clicked on several versions of the files from history,...

maybe if you go to "Multnomah Falls Trailhead" it actually goes to "multnomah falls hike" so capitalization doesn't matter. So there aren't really two files. But then there's something else weird going on.

Thanks for updating this page with more accurate information

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 7th, 2022, 7:42 pm

No, there aren't two of them. For some reason (that I haven't figured out exactly), a title word of a FG page sometimes registers as beginning with a lower case letter even though they're all properly capitalized. This can happen in the URL or the user view itself.

I'll see to making the other changes you suggested. Thanks!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2022, 6:37 am

there have been gateway 504 errors recently, one right when I was posting.

maybe there was some temporary glitch

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » December 8th, 2022, 8:42 am

bobcat wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 7:42 pm
No, there aren't two of them.
I literally get two different pages. When I click on that first link I get this older info.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 8th, 2022, 8:57 am

Whenever I click on that first link (and I've done it several times), I get the current page, as with the "second" link. Maybe your computer is accessing a cached version (at least three years old, if not older)? In the page history, you can always access the older versions, but I've never had that happen when I click on a current link (and I'm on this thing almost every day!).

Anyway, higher gods than I could possibly explain your particular conundrum, but there aren't two pages although every saved version of the page can be accessed through the history going way back.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 8th, 2022, 11:33 am

retired jerry wrote:
December 8th, 2022, 6:37 am
there have been gateway 504 errors recently, one right when I was posting.
The 504 errors have been absolutely rampant lately. It used to be that I frequently got them between 12am and 1am, but now they're regularly popping up in the middle of the day.

(Also, I keep getting the "spamhaus" warning and often have to post via a VPN, no matter whose Wi-Fi I'm on.)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2022, 12:39 pm

I swear that the first time(s) I clicked on the first link I got that old version, but now I get the new, correct version

Something weird going on

When I go to the field guide, click on multnomah falls hike, then multnomah falls trailhead, I get the correct version

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 8th, 2022, 10:24 pm

bobcat wrote:
December 8th, 2022, 8:57 am
Whenever I click on that first link (and I've done it several times), I get the current page, as with the "second" link.
I got two different pages - the first is the "old" page and the second is the new/current one. I then logged into the FG and the first link gave me the current page. I then logged back out of the FG and the first link now again gives me the old page. So there is something screwy happening with what it's displaying. Try logging out of the FG or use a different browser and see if that happens for you. I don't seem to be able to find the old page directly through the FG itself (searching or clicking links) though, even logged out / in another browser.

Looking in the wiki history for the page, it looks like the "old" version is dated 4/18/22 - except it's not: according to the edit history, the main photo was changed 1/19/22, so the "old" page is from then or earlier. All other combinations of upper and lowercase for the page title seems to direct to the current version except capital M and others lowercase, which directs to the old one...

After further sleuthing in the page history, it looks like the "old" one is from between 4/18/17 - 4/1/20. Bobcat changed the "hike ring" for the page in January 2019, and I don't remember what that means but maybe it created a branch in the page history to allow 2 versions to exist simultaneously? This is some straight up sci-fi time travel stuff going on! :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 9th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Yes, thanks. When I clicked on the top link, it shows the current page when I'm logged into the FG. However, logged out of the FG, it shows that old page.

I looked at the other hikes from the Multnomah Falls TH, and those trailhead links seem to be good. I retyped the trailhead name on the Multnomah Falls Hike page, and it now seems to be current (at least for me). I can't explain any of this, but I haven't had an old page resurface from the past like this before. Squid's first link in his post still shows it, but I don't think the FG will anymore.

This seems to be unique (so far). However, I exasperatedly concur on the 504 errors. They really slow me down on the FG and I just have keep trying and weathering through them.