I'll come back at midnight 😆
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Re: Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post by adamschneider » December 11th, 2022, 11:57 pm

Martell wrote:
December 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean Cloudflare was causing the errors, just that it's the page that Cloudflare displays when it's having trouble connecting to a site.
Yes, exactly, it's the CF error page.
Martell wrote:
December 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Ok, so if reloading doesn't help, that sounds like the downtime is lasting, and it's not just intermittent. Does it last several minutes?
Maybe? Honestly, when I see the error and notice it's after midnight, I just think "oh yeah, this is the OH server's nap time" and I don't try again until the next day.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 12th, 2022, 12:10 am

Checked in at 12:05am and the site loads quickly. The load is super low. It's really strange (unless maybe the new settings helped.)

The Field Guide gets a pretty good amount of traffic, which you'd think is fairly steady, so it's surprising there'd be a spike at midnight. Can't figure it out.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 12th, 2022, 12:56 am

I thought maybe there might be some automated cron job or something that happened at midnight.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 12th, 2022, 7:24 am

I've occasionally had 504 errors, but if I try again it'll go away. Maybe a few minutes later. Minor annoyance hardly worth worrying about.

One time maybe 4 days ago it had 504 errors all day. Okay the next day. For me, that doesn't really matter although if I wanted to get info on a hike that day it would be worse than minor annoyance. Although for a site that doesn't have ads or a paywall I won't complain.

Thanks for looking at this Dan

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 13th, 2022, 4:49 pm

I'm saving stuff, sometimes lots of stuff, on the Field Guide several days a week but never after about 9:00 p.m. I get 504 errors frequently when I try to save. In fact, I have learned that it always does save even given a 504 message. However, infrequent users are not going to know that and will get frustrated.

My own impression is that the 504s occur more frequently at "busy" user times - evenings and weekends, but they can occur any time of the day. I try not to work on the FG on weekends. In most cases, I just keep working and saving, even if I get 504s. They can last a couple of minutes. It slows down the process but doesn't inhibit it entirely.

Thanks, Dan, for checking this out!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 14th, 2022, 9:06 am

thanks for putting so much stuff in field guide bobcat

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 14th, 2022, 3:27 pm

I've got another weird FG situation. If I do a search for Jefferson Park in the FG I get this page: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Jefferson_park

But if I go to one of the hike pages (for example) and click the destination page, it takes me to this, the only difference being that this URL has an uppercase P instead of lowercase: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Jefferson_Park

The content on both pages is similar, but not exact.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » December 14th, 2022, 4:04 pm

bobcat wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 4:49 pm
My own impression is that the 504s occur more frequently at "busy" user times - evenings and weekends, but they can occur any time of the day. I try not to work on the FG on weekends.
Hiker crowding has become so bad that, not only do veteran hikers avoid the trails on a weekend, they now avoid writing about trails on the weekend.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

rubiks

Post by rubiks » December 14th, 2022, 4:23 pm

jvangeld wrote:
December 14th, 2022, 4:04 pm
bobcat wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 4:49 pm
My own impression is that the 504s occur more frequently at "busy" user times - evenings and weekends, but they can occur any time of the day. I try not to work on the FG on weekends.
Hiker crowding has become so bad that, not only do veteran hikers avoid the trails on a weekend, they now avoid writing about trails on the weekend.
:lol: :lol:
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.