Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Bosterson

Re: Multnomah Falls Trailhead page(s)

Post by Bosterson » December 9th, 2022, 8:15 pm

bobcat wrote:
December 9th, 2022, 6:06 pm
However, I exasperatedly concur on the 504 errors. They really slow me down on the FG and I just have keep trying and weathering through them.
I reset all my cookies and the endless 504 errors seem to have vanished, but it took me half a dozen tries to actually post what I wrote yesterday because of the Spamhaus IP blacklist - which appears to be something that happens automatically to CenturyLink customers. So this forum is pretty unusable at the moment. Is Dan still alive? Can he fix this?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 10th, 2022, 6:44 am

the 504 errors are a minor annoyance to me. Usually, if I come back a short while later it works.

One day recently I looked several times during a day and always got 504 errors. If I was in a hurry to get info about a hike this would be more annoying. But I can't really complain about a site that doesn't have a pay wall and obnoxious ads.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 10th, 2022, 6:55 am

with my phone it showed the correct version of Multnomah Falls Trailhead - i wasn't logged in

Limey

Post by Limey » December 10th, 2022, 8:23 pm

I have also had a lot of 504 errors. Yesterday I tried to reply to a post and got the spamhaus blacklist. I'm not on centurylink, i have hood river electric co-op. We'll see if this works today. Oh, I also got a message yesterday, while trying to post, that said I didn't have enough characters. I had two full lines of text. Weird stuff happening indeed.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 11th, 2022, 7:44 pm

Is there any rhyme or reason to the 504 errors, like time of day, etc? Do they come up instantly, after 5 seconds, after 30 seconds, etc? I'm assuming they slow you down because they often happen when submitting data, and maybe you can't re-post it? Or do they slow you down navigating?

We don't have a lot of analytics/monitoring set up, so I'm a bit blind to what might be happening, other than combing through logs.

My guess is the 504s are coming from Cloudflare. I'll take a look if there's something I can do from that end too.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » December 11th, 2022, 8:04 pm

I bumped up a setting that I *think* will help with this. Let me know if it:
-Goes away
-Gets better, but doesn't go away
-Doesn't change at all or gets worse

There's some risk of performance degradation, but hopefully not.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Limey

Post by Limey » December 11th, 2022, 8:24 pm

I haven't noticed it being at certain times of the day but I'm not usually on till the evening. The 504 appears as soon as OH has loaded. I've found that hitting reload page usually makes it go away so it hasn't really interfered with OH for me.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 11th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Ok so the 504 appears within like a second?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm

For me, the 504 errors have occurred quite regularly just after midnight. Usually there's a few-second pause before the error message appears. Reloading doesn't help.

For the record, the error screen says that CloudFlare is fine but OregonHikers.org has issues.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm

adamschneider wrote:
December 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm
For me, the 504 errors have occurred quite regularly just after midnight. Usually there's a few-second pause before the error message appears. Reloading doesn't help.

For the record, the error screen says that CloudFlare is fine but OregonHikers.org has issues.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean Cloudflare was causing the errors, just that it's the page that Cloudflare displays when it's having trouble connecting to a site.

Ok, so if reloading doesn't help, that sounds like the downtime is lasting, and it's not just intermittent. Does it last several minutes?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper