Field Guide Query

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Sugar Pine

Field Guide Query

Post by Sugar Pine » November 8th, 2021, 1:19 pm

I use the Oregon Hikers field guide to get a list of hikes to consider by area, distance, etc. I'd really like to see the High Point on a list in addition to the elevation gain. I noticed when doing a search and getting a list of hikes there is an "edit query" option in the upper left corner of the page. Clicking on this it looks like I should be able to add "High Point" in the section headed "Additional data to display - add one property name per line". But, that doesn't seem to work.
Is it possible for users (me) to modify the query to obtain additional data fields in the table?
If so, is there a list of the names of the data fields/property names that can be used in the query?
Thanks!

bobcat

Re: Field Guide Query

Post by bobcat » November 8th, 2021, 4:26 pm

The high point feature is not searchable, like some of the other values (backpackable, family friendly, etc.). It was not in the original template for the hike page and was not commonly given until I began working on the FG in 2012. I included the high point for all my entries and have added it when revising other authors' entries. Most older, unrevised entries still don't have it.

It could be made searchable with different coding, but that would mean individually going back over about 1380 entries and changing each one. If we're socked in with a couple of months of horrible weather, it might be a project . . .

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 8th, 2021, 6:17 pm

bobcat wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 4:26 pm
It could be made searchable with different coding, but that would mean individually going back over about 1380 entries and changing each one. If we're socked in with a couple of months of horrible weather, it might be a project . . .
That sounds like something to handle with a script, not edit by hand. What changes are needed?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 8th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Maybe. I don't know how to do script.

Here's how the searchable (distance, EG) vs. non-searchable values look in html.

{{Distance|3.9 miles}}
{{Elevation gain|750 feet}}
* High point: 4,268 feet

If you're able to configure all high points with curly brackets and a pipe (and perhaps delete the comma), then I could ask Dan Porter to add it to the Find a Hike feature (I don't have access).