Gillette Lake Hike LOTS of Poison Oak now

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Jontbp

Gillette Lake Hike LOTS of Poison Oak now

Post by Jontbp » September 21st, 2021, 11:00 am

I’ve seen it noted on some of the other hikes in the Gorge, so it might be worthwhile to add a Poison Oak warning to the Gillette Lake Hike. In the old landslide area and the clear cut area before reaching the gravel road just above the lake, there is now a lot of poison oak on both sides of the trail. At a couple of narrow points it’s difficult to avoid brushing up against it. There is also some Poison Oak on the small paths off the trail to reach the lake.

Chip Down

Re: Gillette Lake Hike LOTS of Poison Oak now

Post by Chip Down » September 21st, 2021, 4:51 pm

I'm tempted to tell you new members are required to make 20 posts before they're allowed to post PO warnings...but people don't always appreciate my offbeat sense of humor, so I won't. :geek:

So, this is on PCT, right? I don't think I've ever seen PCT fringed with PO that's "difficult to avoid". I usually have to go thrashing around offtrail to get my PO exposure.

Jontbp

Post by Jontbp » September 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm

Yes, this is on PCT. Okay, maybe I’m old and decrepit, and it’s hard for me to keep one foot right in front of the other in the center of the trail to avoid the PO. :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 22nd, 2021, 7:51 am

Thanks. The warning will be duly added!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 22nd, 2021, 7:46 pm

Jontbp wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
Yes, this is on PCT. Okay, maybe I’m old and decrepit, and it’s hard for me to keep one foot right in front of the other in the center of the trail to avoid the PO. :)
I hike drunk all the time, so I know all about bobbing and weaving. :?