Breightonbush Lake Trailhead

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
greenjello85

Breightonbush Lake Trailhead

Post by greenjello85 » August 18th, 2020, 1:02 pm

"While the road is admittedly rough, it is passable for passenger cars if you just drive slowly."

This road no longer seems passable for passenger cars. I went up in a Tacoma no problem and there were several subarus at the trailhead. High probability of taking a rock to the transmission or oil pan in a passenger car, especially the last mile. I'd recommend Subaru or higher for ground clearance.

buckwheat

Re: Breightonbush Lake Trailhead

Post by buckwheat » August 18th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Yeah. Last summer me and my lady took her impreza up that road to the lake and then hiked over to Jeff Park from there, and we may have ripped part of her bumper on the way up. Part of it looked like a landslide had covered the 'road', and other sections had washed away and had like an 18" stream in the middle. The road from Olallie to Breitenbush Lake wasn't much better either which is what she took on the way out. From the highway up to Olallie was fine though.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm

I've been on some bad roads with my passenger car, but I sure as hell wouldn't take it up there. I updated the wording.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I'd tend to agree that it's not for passenger cars, either way you approach it.

Last time I was on that road, though, there was a Passat coming down the hill. So it's technically doable, I guess, if you get lucky with every single rock, pothole, and muddy rut. I wouldn't take my car up there... that's why you have friends with trucks!

All it takes is that one rock you don't see, even on the somewhat passable roads, and you drain all the oil out of your oil pan (I speak from experience... looking at you Harvey Road Trailhead.)
instagram: @remyodyssey