old baldy west trailhead (Tumala Mountain hike)

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
nathangraves

old baldy west trailhead (Tumala Mountain hike)

Post by nathangraves » June 19th, 2020, 4:09 pm

directions to trailhead should be updated. It is about 13 miles on Tumala Mountain Rd to trailhead, not 14.6 miles as indicated. Road is blocked at 14.1 miles.

There is no longer a sign for "Squaw Mountain" at the Old Baldy-Tumala Mountain Trail Junction. The junction is not very obvious and continuing straight from Old Baldy Trail puts you onto the Tumala Mountain Trail. You would have to turn left to continue on the Old Baldy Trail towards Twin Springs Trailhead.

Thanks

Webfoot

Re: old baldy west trailhead (Tumala Mountain hike)

Post by Webfoot » June 20th, 2020, 12:02 am

Thank you for your help in improving the Field Guide.

I corrected the trailhead mileage; Graphhopper agrees that it is 13.1 miles from SE Divers Road.

I will leave updating of the trail pages to someone who has done that hike.

Bosterson

Re: old baldy west trailhead (Tumala Mountain hike)

Post by Bosterson » June 20th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I was just out there last weekend, and I also did not see a sign at that junction. I have revised the FG to refer to the junction as "unsigned" on the Tumala from South Fork Saddle hike, Fanton to Tumala hike, and on the page for the junction itself. I also noted on the 2 hike pages that you go straight to go to Tumala rather than turning "right" (which is what it looks like would happen on the map, but isn't how it looks when you're there). If there are other pages referencing this junction that need updating, let us know.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased