Suggestion for "quick guidelines for permits" page

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Sapo

Suggestion for "quick guidelines for permits" page

Post by Sapo » June 11th, 2020, 11:39 am

In its list of places requiring a Washington Discover Pass, the page titled, "quick guideline for permits in the Gorge areas," includes this:
"Rowland Lake State Park (access to Catherine Creek/Coyote Wall trails)"

We hiked the Coyote Wall area yesterday. When I was preparing to go Tuesday, I couldn't remember if we needed a pass to park. This reference was a little confusing.

First, I couldn't find Rowland Lake State Park in a list of Washington State Parks. Second, it implies that the Rowland Lake park provides useful access to both Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall trails. It's quite a way from where most people start Catherine Creek hikes. It also doesn't seem like a pleasant place to begin a Coyote Wall hike. You'd have to walk on Old Highway 8 with rumbling pickups.

Maybe it should just read:
"Rowland Lake park," with the rest of the information omitted.

Thanks for providing a fabulous resource for hikers,

Sapo

Webfoot

Re: Suggestion for "quick guidelines for permits" page

Post by Webfoot » June 11th, 2020, 10:43 pm

These sound like good suggestions since Rowland Lake appears to surrounded by Washington Department of Wildlife property. However I cannot find a "quick guideline for permits in the Gorge areas" page in the Field Guide.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Apparently the page in question is on the Friends of the Gorge site: https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge ... asses.html — so they're the ones you'd need to contact.

(And it's true that there's no such thing as "Rowland Lake State Park"... but you DO need a Discover Pass to park at that peninsula in Rowland Lake, because it's Washington DFW land. But there are plenty of places nearby where you can park for free, like the intersection of Old Highway 8 and SR-14.)

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 12th, 2020, 8:19 am

FYI, I think where they're actually getting that page title from is neither the field guide nor the Friends site itself, but this nine year old forum thread referencing the Friends list viewtopic.php?t=9983

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

Aha. Important to check the date on a post like that.